To Cube or not to Cube?

PappaBear

Hi all

I was an avid mtber a few years back, but circumstances forced me to stop cycling and sell my previous bike.

I am now looking to get back into things (maybe not immediately, but soonish) and I am browsing for my next ride so long...

What is your opinion on the Cube AMS 100 Pro LTD? Seems to be properly specced and its absolutely drule worthy for me!!

Also: In terms of ride, anyone with knowledge for me to compare to my previous bike? Was a Mongoose Canaan.

Thanks!!

Jaco

jaco

I bought a Cube AMS pro elixir R(2010) 2 months ago locally from a shop in durbanville. I had a merida hardtail before(aswell as a merida roadbike) and it took a lot for me to change brands but I havent regretted it for a second. This bike is awesome, its fast, comfortable and everything I was looking for. It also looks good and is quite light for a alu dual sus, I think mine weighs 12.4kg with pedals. I was also lookign to import it but ended up phoning the local distributor Darryl Opie and decided to buy it at my LBS who in turn supplies the after sales service. I could not get a similar specced bike for under 5k more!!

you cannot go wrong with this one, so my advice is go for it!

cheers

i attach a pic of the ams pro elixir R

post-17137-0-59893100-1302159861.jpg

jaco

I bought a Cube AMS pro elixir R(2010) 2 months ago locally from a shop in durbanville. I had a merida hardtail before(aswell as a merida roadbike) and it took a lot for me to change brands but I havent regretted it for a second. This bike is awesome, its fast, comfortable and everything I was looking for. It also looks good and is quite light for a alu dual sus, I think mine weighs 12.4kg with pedals. I was also lookign to import it but ended up phoning the local distributor Darryl Opie and decided to buy it at my LBS who in turn supplies the after sales service. I could not get a similar specced bike for under 5k more!!

you cannot go wrong with this one, so my advice is go for it!

cheers

i attach a pic of the ams pro elixir R

I happen to live in Durbanville!! Which shop?

I happen to live in Durbanville!! Which shop?

WE bike, they had 2 but it sold out quickly. contact these guys on the Cube website and ask them if they can send the one you are looking for to the shop http://cube-bike.co.za/

Duties on a full bike are 15% plus you still have to add VAT.

Cost to bring that puppy in would be around R21k excluding shipping fees & CRC charge for shipping on bikes.

Hey there, I was sponsored a Cube AMS 100 Pro for this: http://www.edgeride.co.za

I am LOVING the bike and that is not because I got it for free.

It rocks at the Bike Park, on the single track and doing 100km's a day on it while training is no problem at all.

Love the bike, you are more than welcome to come and ride mine if you wanna test one out.

PappaBear or anyone else.

PM if you want any info on the CUBE products otherwise phone me.

Will give you all the information you like.

2 boys i know riding CUBE - Edge Ride & Ashchest (had many MTB's), don't think i've heard a bad word about the bike from either.

Also met the guy that won the CUBE that was raffled off at 94.7 for CHOC this past w/end at Route 42 MTB race, he's absolutely loving his bike, not sure the model, but that looked more like an XC hardtail.

PM Darryl O :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this will still be temporally relevant, but here goes.

I looked at getting this bike as well, the best price was just over R20 000, and after calculating the import duties using the formula in the online buyers guide on this forum, the R15000 quickly became just over R20 000.

I took a chance and asked westdene cycles for a price on their merida onetwenty 1500-D and they gave one to me for R16380. The bikes are very similarly specced, with the merida being slightly better, i think.

Different suspension configuration though.

According to this theHubSa duties info the duties on a full bike are 15%, with VAT to be applied to the bike and the duties...

(extract from the above link)

The steps to calculate the total duties and VAT are:

Calculate the Rand (ZAR) value of the invoice (including shipping). This should be done by converting the foreign amount (INV) into ZAR using the SARS exchange rate (ROE) for the date of export. This is the customs value.

Calculate the import duties, using the amounts in Capricorn's list (ID%), based on customs value. These are the Duties (D).

Add 10% to the customs value from step 1. Multiply this new value by 14% to get the VAT amount for the goods.

Add 10% to the Duties value from step 2. Multiply this new value by 14% to get the VAT amount for the duties.

Add the Duties amount from step 2 to the two VAT amounts from steps 3 and 4 to get a the total amount payable to SARS.

Add the clearing fee (usualy R25 for SAPO and R100 for UPS) to the step 5 value to get the total amount you have to pay.

All of the above expressed in algebra:

CV = INV x ROE

D = CV x ID%

VATGoods = (CV x 1.1) x 0.14

VATDuties = (D x 1.1) x 0.14

TotalSARS = D + VATGoods + VATDuties

Grand Total = Clearance Fee + TotalSARS

Thanks for the good reply!

I've seen the Merida One Twenty, and personally the look doesn't work for me...

Rather made up my mind that the suspension configuration must be like the Cube AMX, Scott Spark or Merida 96.....

(I know it is superficial, but I once heard on the hub: "Ride what you like, like what you ride.....")

Thanks for the good reply!

I've seen the Merida One Twenty, and personally the look doesn't work for me...

Rather made up my mind that the suspension configuration must be like the Cube AMX, Scott Spark or Merida 96.....

(I know it is superficial, but I once heard on the hub: "Ride what you like, like what you ride.....")

It IS silly and superficial...and I totally agree. Dont like the 1-20 or classic Anthem style configuration. Dont know why...just dont.

I like each in their own way. i don't like the giant frame look. it's ugly and reminds me of my old bomber.

i forgot to add that i also contacted cube for pricing on some of their bikes, they have 2010 bikes going, if you are interested...

this is the mail.

Hi Linton

I am still the correct person to contact.

What size are you bike are you looking for?

In your price range we have

1) XMS - R15 999

2) LTD Pro 100 and 125 R22 999

I have one 2010 AMS Pro 100 ER for R19 999 and one AMS Pro 100 RX R17 999. There is only one left each and size 18" (M).

Dealers in the JHB area are, Complete Cyclist, Cycle Fusion, Cycle Science, The Cycle Hub.

Please let me know if you require further details.

Kind regards

Paul

Perhaps contact westdene for a price on a merida 96? as you say, similar config to the ams and scott, but you might get a better spec/price ratio than the cube (it wont look as mean as the xms though... )

But the configuration is (somewhat) specific to application, so, consider carefully.

Edited by linton

contact person at isikhala, importers of cube. (i am led to believe...)

Edited by linton