Import Duties - Does protection i.e. Helmets, Pads etc classify as clothing?

EvilRabbit

Ordered some knee/shin pads from CRC in the UK and was hit damn hard on duties claiming they fall under clothing. Is that the case? Helmets are regarded as clothing too?

Guest Omega Man

I was charged 20% for a helmet. Plus the VAT of course. CRC is not always cheap.

Edited by Omega Man

That is why on group orders its taboo to ad in helmets, shoes, clothes and camelbaks.

But I will ad that I was luckly with my Camelbak as it did not attract any extra duties. First check on places like Take2 Amazon portal before buying from CRC as CRC is not always cheaper (BTW Take2 include all duties and charges on their prices)

Ordered some knee/shin pads from CRC in the UK and was hit damn hard on duties claiming they fall under clothing. Is that the case? Helmets are regarded as clothing too?

As a good rule of thumb, class anything you can wear as attracting duty. That means anything, hats, socks,shoes,wetsuits,boots, helmets,jackets,pads,life jackets,safety gloves, bright orange / yellow overjackets,......anything you can put on, wear, add to your present clothing etc.

Lately customs have been pedantic about clothing, shoes etc, maybe its time for the clothing councils annual increases, I dont know, but they are flagging everything that looks remotely like a wearable item.

I Just brought leg protectors in Customs had no issue :D , they went after the cycling shorts

I Just brought leg protectors in Customs had no issue :D , they went after the cycling shorts

Unfortunately there are issues of consistancy with customs. You can imagine the volume of goods been cleared in and out of the country daily is just incredible, Just one cargo ship can have 600 containers on board, on average how many ships dock and depart daily in SA Ports, 40 / 50 maybe more, there are probably 100 cargo flights into and out of various airports daily, plus thousands and thousands of postal clearances, so its an enormous task to ensure every document / parcel is checked consistantly, there are ways they flag things but and its pretty good, but yeah, you were just lucky.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy