Tacx Fortius Users

Burnie

Hi

I've been using a Tacx Fortius VR trainer for six months without any mayor problems.

Recently the stupid thing simply stopped working: The motorbrake is not detected anymore. I tried all the advise on Tacx FAQ and forums without success.

I'm desperately looking for someone in the Pretoria/Midrand area with a working Fortius, willing to help me test my motorbrake unit and head interface unit. Should only take a minute or two.

I need to issolate the problem (can be PC, Head interface, cables or motorbrake units). Knowing what component is faulty will make repurchase, warranty claim shipment much easier. Local suppliers and bike stores are not very helpful. I bought the unit from Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK (turned out to be a bad idea it seems).

I will gladly buy anyone willing to help a case of beer or bottle of whiskey.

Kind regards

Burnie

Hi

I've been using a Tacx Fortius VR trainer for six months without any mayor problems.

I bought the unit from Chain Reaction Cycles in the UK (turned out to be a bad idea it seems).

I will gladly buy anyone willing to help a case of beer or bottle of whiskey.

Kind regards

Burnie

Och sorry to hear about your problems, must damn frustrating.

IF there is a Tacx Agent in SA then they should be able to help, even if you purchased it via the interweb from overseas and especialy if it is under warranty. The warranty should be a world wide warranty.

And if not covered by warranty they should still help, except they might invoice you.

Good luck

Send beer

if windows does not pick it up when you plug in your usb cable,try reinstalling your cable driver s again !!

Edited by tikki

I have spoken to Coolheat, they won't touch anything from Chain reaction cycles.

Windows does pickup the interface unit, but the interface unit doesn't pickup the brake. I will reinstall everything anyway, but I doubt that the PC side is the problem - The brake stopped working while it was in use.

I have spoken to Coolheat, they won't touch anything from Chain reaction cycles.

Coolheat LOL seems like they are being somewhat spiteful.

Surely if they are the designated representative for Tacx in SA that they are obliged to help?

I doubt that TACX would endorse this type of reaction from one of their service centres.

I managed to fix the motor brake myself. Being an electronic nerd, and without much help from our local reps, I decided to void the warranty and opened the thing up. After some reverse engineering, a cheap low dropout regulator and a diode later, everything working 100% again.

I will ask Tacx HQ if our local "service centre" acted according to rules and expectations.

I would have gladly bought the system from a local supplier if the markup was something like 20 - 30% even. But at the time, prices were ridiculously inflated. Keep in mind there are no import duties on gym equipment nor bike parts. CRC also ship biggish orders free of charge.

Anyway, happy ending for me at least. :thumbup:

good on you Burnie. I find when my brake dies on me, i reload the driver software and reboot the PC then usually all is fine. Coolheat will honour if you bought from TACX overseas but not CRC, as far as i know. I also find the new Tacx trainer software, especially version 3 sucks, the old fortuis software is much more stable.