Upgrading MTB - where to even begin?

JohnQ

I started MTB'ing about a year ago (Always been a road biker for just about forever) and got a Scott Yecora second hand bike to see if I liked MTB'ing before buying a new bike.

Well the time has some to upgrade and after reading tons of posts I'm even more confused - there's too much choice :)

Before I go to the LBS and they try and sell me a R30k bike I'd like do my own research.

First thing - is it even worth upgrading. The bike is a good few years old and I would like disc breaks, so it means buying new wheels, disc breaks etc etc. It's probably more worth my while to get a new bike?

I've almost come to the conclusion that its probably better to get a new bike. The next question is new, second hand or build your own up?

And then the next question on price - probably the most asked question. Prices range from like R3k to R60k. i don't want to get anything too cheap that its going to fall apart but I'm not going to buy something for like R50k.

Is there really much of a different between a R10k and a R20k bike (I know better components, lighter etc) but for the average non professional cyclist will this really make a difference?

I'm looking at spending around R7k-R10k. Most likely hardtail because of my price range. I would like FS but its going to cost loads more (I would also like a Ferrari but it's not going to happen) :)

Would appreciate any advise from people who's been in the same boat as me.

No doubt everyone's going to tell you to buy new instead of upgrading an old bike.

If your budget is around R10K, my humble suggestion is to ask the LBS to swop out the rear derailleur for an upgrade. E.g. if Shimano, the stock bike will likely have SLX. See if you can get them to swop out for XT for a small increase in price. But that's just me - I cannot stand not having perfect, crisp gear changing, esp. on the sprocket.

The other quick change you can make before rolling out the shop door is to look at the front brake. See if you can get an upgrade on the front for more stopping power (at minimal increase in price).

For me, the rear derailleur and front brake are the two quick wins.

Then, over the next few months or year, save for a good wheelset.

So many questions... to answer a few:

-Upgrading - stick to upgrading wheelsets and forks as these can almost always be transferred to a new bike.

-New bikes are significantly cheaper than building on up from new parts - although you we be stuck with what the manufacturer deems best.

-Second hand bikes - best to go this route if you have good knowledge of older components or are prepared to do exptensive research. MTB's are semi consumables so expect to have to start replacing things as time goes by - drive chains, brake pads, bearings and many others.

Full suspension should not cost loads more. You can get bikes in that price range - e.g. the bottom of the range Scott Spark comes in near that price.

"but for the average non professional cyclist will this really make a difference?"

In my opinion it will make a differance up to about the R30k mark with the differance decreasing significantly after 15k. This is based on gut feel and not any scientific method.

I am also very new to MTB(2 months) and had the same choice a few month ago. Before only road cycling. My budget for a new bike was also about R11k. After some research I went for the Merida Matts Lite 1000D. It falls perfectly within your price range and has some decent components. It has so far not disappointed me.

So many questions... to answer a few:

-Upgrading - stick to upgrading wheelsets and forks as these can almost always be transferred to a new bike.

others.

Can't you transfer a gruppo between frames?

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll have a look at the above mentioned bikes and also check out the classifieds section - and give up on the idea of building up a new bike. Rather get a new bike now and then slowly get better components over the next few months/year.

"Can't you transfer a gruppo between frames?"

Yes of course. Go Troll in another thread.

Why is this trolling?

Oh, wait, cause yours is the only opinion that counts. I've never upgraded a mtb before, and cause I make a lot of sarcastic comments, and joke around a lot, I clearly am a moron, probably don't own a bike, and have no valid input. OK. Bye.

Edited by TNT1