Mongoose

Barkie

Hi guys

Please help. I want to buy a mountain bike and decided on a hardtail.

Relatively new in cycling - rested for more than a year <_<

Been advised by a friend to go for the Mongoose Tyax Super(2011). Can get it for just over R5k.

Also looked at the Merida dfs 100/300, but the components on the Mongoose looks better.

Advice please

IMHO Go for the Mongoose Meteore Team, its light, fast and agile you can throw it around, crash with out worrying about it. I went from carbon to the meteore and I find i have much more confidence in pushing myself technically and its as light as my carbon frame (1.3kg) or a zaskar. Don't be foolled by the bling, if you want to be happy and push yourself without worrying about drop offs, trees and rocks then go lightweight Alu. The ride is harder than carbon but the meteore geometry is a little less aggresive than a straight out racer (like a scott scale) so you'll be able to spend more time in the saddle having fun. The meteore is Mongoose's top end hardtail so its not slow by any means and you'll grow in confidence on it.

Plus, there have been loads of frames for sale on here lately, for almost nothing, you should be able to pick up a great frame for under R2k.

Right, Weight weenie just put up a Zaskar Carbon Team frame without headset and it comes in at 1.5kg, 200g more than the meteore with bb and headset included.

Glad to be of service ! hehe

However he is saying Tyax and you are saying Meteore, thats a 20k difference.

He wants a ride bike and you are advising him to buy a race bike, misscommunication ?

Hi again. Sorry for not giving you the correct info. I am a female and just looking at riding in the neigbourhood and maybe some short events (up to 50 kilos).

Hi again. Sorry for not giving you the correct info. I am a female and just looking at riding in the neigbourhood and maybe some short events (up to 50 kilos).

Welcome to Mz Barkie. Excuse the lads, they don't see many ladies hereabouts, they tend to chase them away with over-eager comments, foot-in-mouth remarks and other manliness.

Have a look at Classifieds.

There are 2 Canaans for sale at good prices.

The size Small looks in good nick with good spec. (be quick!)

Nice comfy bikes.

Nothing wrong with Tyax, with the exception that the newer models are specced pretty low, and you will more than likely want to change to dual sus sooner than later.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Apologies. Did not ask why you had 'decided on a hardtail' - may I?

Edited by The Drongo

Glad to be of service ! hehe

However he is saying Tyax and you are saying Meteore, thats a 20k difference.

He wants a ride bike and you are advising him to buy a race bike, misscommunication ?

Fair enough, I shall retract my suggestion....if you're just getting into the sport then get the bike with the best components you can afford. It may sound like overkill but if you do get hooked (and the increasing popularity of the sport suggests you may well do), then you're going to want to change bits and pieces to go faster. If those bits and pieces are good then the upgrade cost won't be quite so scary (and you can spend the cash on a new super frame). I suggested the Meteore because I thought you may want to build up your bike from stuff you can buy here or online, in which case you can buy a great frame really cheaply. If you want a complete bike then consider the tyax, or the Silverbacks which seem to be well put together with decent components without breaking the bank.

My final suggestion is make sure you ride a few potential bikes before buying...the differences between them are huge so you'll want to buy something that suits your riding and comfort needs.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new toy!