Training halted = a guaranteed cold/Flu!

Tazza007

Just a quick question:

Can someone PLEASE provide me with a reason why it always happens that when I stop training for a much needed break after +- 5-6 months of constant cycling (5-6 days a week) I ALWAYS come down with a cold/flu?

I usually at most take the odd two days break here or there otherwise the normal one day a week off, but when opting for a much needed 7 day break, starting the previous week Thursday before the cycling tour from bellville to Knysna at the end of June, the flu hit me like clock work starting on day 3 and escalating by day 4!

It has now been 3 days normal rest, 2 days sick'ish and 6 days sick like hell with still no bum on bike :(. 11 days total, and counting...

So why does one need to rest again? To get ill?

Thanks

Hi Tazz

Unfortunately it’s the way the cookie crumbles. It happens to me as well.Somewhere along the road we will catch a bug unknowingly especially during the transition period from summer to winter.It doesn’t matter how well you look after yourself you will always be in contact with people especially if you work in an open plan office.The other bad thing is that we then need to take antibiotics which is not ayoba for any sportsman. It helps but my personal experience is that I feel weak when start training again.We are only in the beginning of winter :thumbdown: Good luck

it happens to my wife as well... sometimes the body is so used to being exercised, that it's almost in a constant state of fitness and when you relax, all the dormant "nasties" come out to play. You're no longer training, so you're not working off all the little niggles that all of us get every now and again, and it just snaps.

Happens to my wife whenever we go on holiday. She's fine for the first day or 2, then she's woman down for about 3 days with the flu or a cold. Sucks!