What new Bike to Get

lerouc

Hi

I hope this is the right place to post this...

I got a new Trek 820 back in around 1997. The bike back then cost +- R1700 which wasn't a too bad bike.

Now this bike was stolen over the weekend (lets just say i must not be driving down the road and see a guy on a green trek because i'll ask questions afterwards! ) and i need to get a quote for a new bike but I don't know what that bike would be worth now.

I went to the little bike shop i bought it from and the guy there still remembered me (use to be quite big into cycling and bought all my stuff there) and he said i should get a quote for a bike between 6k and 7k. (But the oom is very old and the shop went down the drain in the past couple of years and i don't know if i can trust his judgment.)

Is there maybe someone on here that might be able to assist to just make sure i don't screw myself or the insurance over.

Thanks

@lerouc I forgot to mention (on the other forum) that you also need to build up your kit if you don't already have it:

Must have:

Helmet/hellmutt and thats > R400

Pomp > R70

Spare tube ~ R50

Patches ~ R20

Multitool > R100

Nice to have:

Camelbak R500-R1000 or any other hydration bag

Bibs and top > R1000 or just go to Mr Price and get the tops from them (cheap but good quality) and then get a good pants/bibs/shorts (> R500)

Cleats & Shoes > R1000 but first ask on the Hub for which ones.

Hi

I hope this is the right place to post this...

I got a new Trek 820 back in around 1997. The bike back then cost +- R1700 which wasn't a too bad bike.

Now this bike was stolen over the weekend (lets just say i must not be driving down the road and see a guy on a green trek because i'll ask questions afterwards! ) and i need to get a quote for a new bike but I don't know what that bike would be worth now.

I went to the little bike shop i bought it from and the guy there still remembered me (use to be quite big into cycling and bought all my stuff there) and he said i should get a quote for a bike between 6k and 7k. (But the oom is very old and the shop went down the drain in the past couple of years and i don't know if i can trust his judgment.)

Is there maybe someone on here that might be able to assist to just make sure i don't screw myself or the insurance over.

Thanks

Welcome to The Hub, that seems pretty fair. Cycling technology has advanced a hell of a lot since 1997.

Possibly a GT Avalanche or Silverback would be a fair enough replacement.

Ja i had a full baggie with tools on the bike and the pompie so the insurance will cover that as well and i just need to go dig in my cupboards for my helmet and clothing - should still be somewhere in the house, I hope.

Welcome to The Hub, that seems pretty fair. Cycling technology has advanced a hell of a lot since 1997.

Possibly a GT Avalanche or Silverback would be a fair enough replacement.

ja I got quoted on a merida TFS but he said i can also look at the avalanche 3.0.

ja I got quoted on a merida TFS but he said i can also look at the avalanche 3.0.

Again, not a bad choice. Obviously the components are all pretty much bottom level, but by no means rubbish at all.

The Silverback will come with the better spec'd components. If you could take them all out to try would be great. All the bikes have slightly differant geometry so find the one that is right for you.

The Avalanche 3.0 should be around R5500, then add your extras( tools, helmut, tubeless conversion etc.)

If you can, add a bit more maybe R2000 and you can get a very decent hardtail. Or take the cash and search the classifieds on the hub and you will definitely find a good bike.