Two blade crank or 3 blade crank???

Stig

Hi there,

Im looking to upgrade my 9 speed group set to a 10speed?

Its on a SantaCruze Tallboy 29er, and i weigh 100kg's.

I have always had three blades up front and am concerned that 2 blades up front will restrict my granny gear ability?

Im a heavy cyclist on a29er?

I have an option with shimano XT to keep the three blade up front with the 10 spd option, but prefer the to go SRAM, I think they only have the 2 blade option up front?

See if you can try a bike with double before you buy.I often use my granny gear and could never lose it.My knees take to much strain with the double set up and i think after a while,of use, it will cause a injury.

I am also heavy and i think a double is made for really fit race snakes.

Guest agteros

Hi there,

Im looking to upgrade my 9 speed group set to a 10speed?

Its on a SantaCruze Tallboy 29er, and i weigh 100kg's.

I have always had three blades up front and am concerned that 2 blades up front will restrict my granny gear ability?

Im a heavy cyclist on a29er?

I have an option with shimano XT to keep the three blade up front with the 10 spd option, but prefer the to go SRAM, I think they only have the 2 blade option up front?

Would you ever consider cycling up to Kaapsehoop on a double? if yes, then get the double, otherwise stay with a triple!

Would you ever consider cycling up to Kaapsehoop on a double? if yes, then get the double, otherwise stay with a triple!

It's not about that really, it's about making the correct gear ratio selection, if you do this with a double, you will end up using the entire cassette for a change and also find out that you actually gain some gears over a triple.

It's not about that really, it's about making the correct gear ratio selection, if you do this with a double, you will end up using the entire cassette for a change and also find out that you actually gain some gears over a triple.

Agree - plus depending on your front chain ring selection you can come pretty close to your granny gear ratio.

I just went the double setup.

I chose to go with 42/28 with a 11/36rear cassete at the back.Ok i way a lot less than you but at the moment am very unfit.Did the knysna 2 weeks back and i used the 36/28 option lots.I think maybe you should get the 39/26 double crank.A friend of mine has gotten that crank and is very happy, he can go climb anything now!

I see you stay in Nelspruit. Only you can answer your own question. Take your bike to Mankele. Ride the longest loop. See if you can do it without getting off your bike. Decide if you are ready to drop your granny.

By the way. The idea of 2X10 is to replace the need for a third chainring. So to "upgrade" from a 3x9 to 3x10 is a lateral movement. Not an upgrade.