Not sure where to start

peterg

Rouxtjie, I would actually prefer a good second hand bike. Seems I can get a much better bike for the price.

Are there any brands in particular I should look at? Is there anything I should look for when buying a second hand bike?

First and foremost get a bike that will suite your riding requirements, what type of riding do you like doing and competing in.

Then ask the manne on thehub, create a thread with a list of potentials with their prices and ask for feedback, not only will the okes highlight certain issues or strenghts but will protect you from being ripped.

And from the shortlist go and view them personally and take someone with that knows a what to look out for.

Great!

I'll make a list sometime tonight and see what the guys think of them :)

Thanks very much

First and foremost get a bike that will suite your riding requirements, what type of riding do you like doing and competing in.

Then ask the manne on thehub, create a thread with a list of potentials with their prices and ask for feedback, not only will the okes highlight certain issues or strenghts but will protect you from being ripped.

And from the shortlist go and view them personally and take someone with that knows a what to look out for.

Check out the Raleigh Nomad 10, it will fit in your budget. The 2012 are coming out next month, so you may get a 2011 model even cheaper.

Both Ride Magazine and Bicycling rated it very highly especially in the value for money department.

Might have scored high in the value for money department because the components are not too bad. But they suck in the weight department, a led frame will be lighter than the Nomad. And handling is as sluggish as stearing a tank.