Computer stopping when braking

lerouc

before you take anything back, try the following:

Remove the magnet from the spoke.

Remove the sensor from the fork lower.

Place the computer in its housing.

MANUALLY run the magnet past the sensor with your hand and check the computer of it responds. If that works then the only problem you might have is sensor/magnet placement. Try to get a feel for how close the sensor and magnet have to be to each other to work.

what side of the wheel/fork does the magnet/sensor sit? should be on the NON braking side if you have discs (and it is a mtb???).

what is the distance between the sensor and the magnet? Should be <5mm.

On a road bike the sensor and magnet will be closer to the rim than the hub. On a MTB it is the other way around.

before you take anything back, try the following:

Remove the magnet from the spoke.

Remove the sensor from the fork lower.

Place the computer in its housing.

MANUALLY run the magnet past the sensor with your hand and check the computer of it responds. If that works then the only problem you might have is sensor/magnet placement. Try to get a feel for how close the sensor and magnet have to be to each other to work.

what side of the wheel/fork does the magnet/sensor sit? should be on the NON braking side if you have discs (and it is a mtb???).

what is the distance between the sensor and the magnet? Should be <5mm.

On a road bike the sensor and magnet will be closer to the rim than the hub. On a MTB it is the other way around.

Its a MTB and it is on the other side than the discs. Its about half way down the fork. I did try and move it the sensor yesterday and got it closer than 5mm but still the same thing happens. Im laying towards the cable break as it takes a while after i release the brake to start monitoring again...

LOL i highly doubt if helderberg cycle world will do that...they charged me for my chain that broke after i had the bike for only a few weeks. But i guess i'll have to take it back! net nie lus vir hulle "ons is beter as jy" houding nie.

Well you paid for something didn't you? It comes with a warranty? So use it....that is bull about wheels flexing and stuff....that sounds like a wire problem. So if they don't replace it name and shame them....cause in the end they rely on the people who go there to buy stuff etc....so they should be thankfull for the business they get otherwise just buy online at cwc in future....

Ja i found cwc after i bought the bike...and with new CPA laws i can strictly speaking return it and demand full refund - but lets not go there just yet! :P i'll try and get the bike back to them asap and hopefully they can sort it out for me.

thanks for all the advice people!

Its a MTB and it is on the other side than the discs. Its about half way down the fork. I did try and move it the sensor yesterday and got it closer than 5mm but still the same thing happens. Im laying towards the cable break as it takes a while after i release the brake to start monitoring again...

Do you have cable disc brakes or is it hydraulic?

I am just wondering how the computer "knows" you are pulling the brake?

Is there a difference between pulling the front and rear brake? Does the same thing happen to the computer?

Do you have cable disc brakes or is it hydraulic?

I am just wondering how the computer "knows" you are pulling the brake?

Is there a difference between pulling the front and rear brake? Does the same thing happen to the computer?

Hydraulic and only for front! The only other thing i noticed the computers cable is running down the front brakes hydraulic cable...but i can't think that that would have an impact.

Hydraulic and only for front! The only other thing i noticed the computers cable is running down the front brakes hydraulic cable...but i can't think that that would have an impact.

Aaaah...If the cable is slightly damaged, this could make sense.

When you brake, there might be a slight hydraulic cable move which could flex the wire creating the break in the wire...

If you would remove the wire from the hydraulic line, bet you the problem would go away.

Anyway, I would agree that the wire from the computer housing to the sensor is busted. Most likely closer to the housing. Check it, maybe you can see some damage.

Edited by MJ the mountainbiker