Is 7 speed dead?

Karakoram

I've still got my second mountain bike, bought in 1995, a 7 speed Gary Fisher Marlin. The bike is in a very good condition and every so often I like to take it out for a ride. In comparison to my (dare I say it) two-niner, the older bike it is not such an easy climber. The two-niner runs a 24/32/42T chainwheel with 10 speed 11-34T cassette.

My old bike runs a 24/34/42T chainwheel and a 7 speed 11-28T cassette. In an attempt to match the easier climbing ability of my new bike, I am toying with the idea of having a 11-32T cassette fitted.

Anybody out there who would like to venture a guess if this will make a big enough difference? Are there any better ratios to consider, staying with a 7 speed cluster. I don't want to change derailers, shifters or any other components.

Phoning around, it seems that 7 speed gear have become obsolete. What is the logic of having the same gear ratios, but with 10X3 instead of 7X3 selection options? Seven speed components seems to be chunkier and tougher and way less expensive than 8,9 or 10 speed components.

7 speed not dead, just scarce. If you run the same gear ratios, the only thing that would be different is the three gears of different tooth count that you are missing out on. Might make it more difficult sometimes eg at 2:23 you pedaling too easy but at 2:21 it's too difficult. So on your 29'er you might have 2:22 that would be perfect for that potion of track.

7 speed is heavier too..... so if you aren't a weight weenie, then see what you can get. Go to bicycle shops and see what they have in 2nd hand parts. There must be someone that has old or outdated stock. Even loose gears, if you can find them, would help. Just knock the pin out of the cassette and put a bigger toothed gear onto it.

re going from 28 to 32 - it would help a bit I would rekon. See if you can fns a loose 34T and 32T gear and mix with your current cassette.

Good luck.

p.s. I still have 8 speed groupo on my road bike and still kicking butt. Only upgraded to STI's early last year after my first six months using downtube shifters.

7 speed is heavier too..... so if you aren't a weight weenie, then see what you can get. Go to bicycle shops and see what they have in 2nd hand parts. There must be someone that has old or outdated stock. Even loose gears, if you can find them, would help. Just knock the pin out of the cassette and put a bigger toothed gear onto it.

I found a SRAM 12-32T 7 speed cassette at ChainReaction for R163 and dropped that into my shopping basket. Hope it fits and I am sure it's going to give the old bike a new lease on life.

Use it as a training bike, get some muscles, climb on the new bike and blitz everyone.

Good theory, but somehow when I step into the garage to fetch a bike, I mostly gravitate to the newer (1 year old) ride. It's a little nicer to peddle and also has front suspension. My old bike is simple, fully rigid and made of steel and that's why I still like it so much. All that it requires to bring it back into circulation is a little nip and tuck here and there. Apart from the slacker cassette, I also bought a pair of ergo grips to dampen the trail buzz.