Goals for the next year

jonnow

you also need to figure out what discipline of Triathlon you want to do! I have been racing tri for 3 years and I haven't done a 70.3 or IM. I prefer the Olympic Distance because as my good friend Ricky Bobby says, "I wanna go faaaast." I get so frustrated when people ask me about tri when they find out I take part, they always so, 'oh so you do the Ironman.' it drives me insane! it's ok to just do the sprints and maybe 1 Olympic. don't let 'performing' pressurise you or will lose the love for the sport. stick with what you enjoy, if 70.3 is really something you want to tackle go for it but don't be scared to take it slow. I raced my first Oly Dist. after 14 months of Sprint Distances. I still get asked when I am doing IM but I ignore it, when I am older I will tackle it for sure but for now I am happy doing what I enjoy. long story short, stick with what you enjoy and what you are comfortable with. :) and stuff what everybody else thinks!!

My goal for this season is to do a number of sprints and aim for 1 olympic distance before the end of the season. This will give me a good idea of what the sport is about and in which direction I want to take it. I'm not being pressurized by anyone, as this is something that I want to do and I will do it at my pace.

Hi Jonnow

Best place to do open water swim is Heia Safari They got a nice clean dam and there are usaly quite a few people swimming.

Half Iron is 5 months away. Plenty of time to train. If you can do a BSG in 1 H 30 you will easily do 70.3. Remember that a wetsuit is a must for 70.3 and you will not be permitted to swim without it if the water is below 14 degrees like this year. Swim the BSG with it because you need to get used to it and it also gives you transition training for 70.3. Prestige a very nice introductory to the half distance as this course is easy compared to East london and you should be able to do it even when not 100% ready. Just dont race it to hard if you plan to do 70.3

If you want to do 70.3 you should enter now as this race is usualy sold out come November.

I do not think I will do 70.3 next year as I'm too new to the sport to venture into those kinds of distances. I am going to try and register as a volunteer for the event so that I can get a good idea of the feel and vibe around the event. I will probably to 70.3 in 2013. That way I know that I will be better prepared for it.

Don't be afraid to throw yourself into the deep end. Entering events in advance is the best motivation for training!!

Hey Jonnow

I am also in Joburg so maybe we can do some training together whenever if you'd like.

The problem with open water swimming for me is that you need a boat or at least a few friends. If you cramp in a pool its ok. If you cramp 100 meters in open water you have a big big problem.

I only train in the pool. Sure the ocean on the day is something different, but it is not that big an issue. it is more in the mind.

Perhaps a group of us can one day meet at a dam and go for a swim.About the 70.3. 5 months is ample time as mentioned above.

Do not be afraid young one. You would be amazed what you can do.....

A South African just won the Leadville 100 miler.

160km run over mountains. 17 hours!!

Again.... why not enter the prestige Ultra in Dec and see what happens? No pressure man.... If you are really spent halfway then just quit. Not the end of the world..........

Don't be afraid to throw yourself into the deep end. Entering events in advance is the best motivation for training!!

Haha yep! Especially since it is so voookkking expensive these days!!!

Oh and I have done it for around 7 years. You can however learn a lot from reading and TV. They actually show lots of IM shows on ESPN and SS6. Just keep an eye on the channels in the evening.

Jonnow

you can also enter a team for 70.3 but you will regret because you can do it alone,hell if i can do it then anybody can do it. There is realy not much to it to finish in 8h30. You can actualy walk the whole 21 km and still finish in time. Differant story if you want to race it say below 6 hours.

The vibe is absolutely fantastic and that is why it sells out even though its radiculously expensive.

Agree.

Sprint is fun for messing around.........

70.3 is and adventure.................

Wys bietjie ballas man!!