Want to donate your old bike(s) to a good cause?

greenhorn

The Refilwe Community Project (www.refilwe.org) is based just north of Lanseria, and serves the Jhb North community. Its an extensive set up, incorporating a pre school, a nursery school, and a number of work and skills development programms. Many of the kids and teenagers are AIDS orphns from the Joe Slovo squatter camp.

An important part of the initiative is up skilling and placing young adults into jobs. However, many of them lack transport or taxi fares to their new places of work.

If any of you have some old, unused, unloved bikes lying around at home, how about donating them? They will be revived or repaired and made available as transport for the newly placed adults. Old kids bikes would also be welcome, and would be used at the nursery school. We'll also train some of the teenagers in basic bike maintenance skills, so that they can keep the 'fleet' running, and learn some skills along the way. Who knows, they may end up as a wrench on the Epic one day!

PM or put up a post if you can help. We'll arrange to collect the bikes, or find a mutual drop off point.

Great idea, already got the first kids bike donated....

(My daughter didn't have much say in the matter though)