SA Road Team Announced for African Continental Champs – ERI

Matt

SA Road Team Announced for African Continental Champs – ERI

Press Release: Cycling South Africa

21 October 2011 – Cycling South Africa has selected a strong team to participate in the African Continental Championships to be held in Asmara, Eritrea from 9 to 13 November 2011.

No doubt reclaiming our rightful spot as African Champions will be uppermost in the minds of the riders. The ladies will have an extra incentive as they go all out to rake in maximum UCI qualification points for the 2012 Olympics. Ashleigh Moolman Pasio, fresh from her Amashova victory will lead the charge and will be joined by other Olympic hopefuls, Cherise Taylor, Joanna van de Winkel and Robyn de Groot. The ladies were very impressive at the recent World Championships in Copenhagen and should continue with that good form.

The men’s team is a strong one with a good mix of youth and experience. The team comes off a string of good results, with Louis Meintjes and Reinardt Janse van Rensburg fresh from a solid performance at the World Championships. Van Rensburg has continued his good form with a stage victory in the Jayco Herald Sun Tour in Australia, beating many season Tour de France campaigners. Nolan Hoffman’s blistering pace to the line makes him a firm favorite should the race come down to a bunch sprint, as he demonstrated with his convincing victory at the recent Amashova event. Jaco Venter brings a wealth of international experience, which he will put to good use in the team’s quest for gold.

The team as follows:

Men:

Jaco Venter

Louis Meintjes

Reinardt Janse van Rensburg

Nolan Hoffman

Women:

Ashleigh Moolman Pasio

Cherise Taylor

Joanna van de Winkel

Robyn de Groot

Team Manager: Barry Austin