Team FEDGROUP - ITEC Connect extends careers of Stewart, Rossouw

Matt

Team FEDGROUP - ITEC Connect extends careers of Stewart, Rossouw

Press Release - 31 October 2011

A year largely filled with uncertainty will end with stability and focus for Brandon Stewart and Jacques Rossouw, two of South Africa’s top marathon mountain bike racers, following the launch of Team FEDGROUP – ITEC Connect at the weekend.

Rossouw came out of retirement to race full time again this year, while Stewart faced the possibility of early retirement after the team he was racing for folded. Fittingly, they raced in the new colours of FEDGROUP – ITEC Connect at the 2011 FedGroup Berg & Bush stage race at the weekend, which they dominated, winning all three stages and the overall title.

Stewart’s proactivity resulted in him securing an interim sponsorship in May 2011 with ITEC Connect and Kathea. Rossouw, one of South Africa’s most successful cross-country and marathon racers in the early 2000s, ended a five-year break from bike racing this year, achieved early success and then teamed up with Stewart to create a formidable pairing, leading to the establishment of the new team.

Stewart, a former national Elite cross-country champion, is the only South African to have won stages at the TransAlp in Europe, the BC Bike Race in North America and the ABSA Cape Epic in South Africa, three of the world’s highest profile mountain bike stage races. He has established a company called SSS Racing under which the team will be run.

The pair showed excellent compatibility when they won their first stage race (including all three stages) at the recent Isuzu Three Towers in the Mpumalanga region of South Africa. This just days after Rossouw finished second and Stewart fourth at the MTN Crater Cruise, the final event of South Africa’s prestigious MTN National Marathon Series. They will be top-10 contenders at the 2012 ABSA Cape Epic and definite contenders for the African team title at that event.

“As with our sponsorship of the Berg & Bush event, we opted to sponsor a mountain biking team, first and foremost because of its strong family appeal, which ties in perfectly with the FedGroup family ethos,” said FedGroup's Scott Field.

“FedGroup is a company that aligns itself with the dynamics of mountain biking. Values of professionalism, determination, perseverance and ambition held by Stewart and Rossouw (on and off the bike) are considered synonymous with the values held by FedGroup Financial Services. We look forward to being part of this team's 2011 and 2012 racing journey".

“After a successful sponsorship in 2011, the choice for ITEC Connect to team up as co-sponsor for the 2012 season was an easy decision. Besides the fact that a lot of senior staff at ITEC Connect are passionate mountain bikers, cycling has always had a special place in the ITEC Connect Group’s DNA,” said Gavin Meyer, Managing Director of ITEC Connect.

“ITEC Connect are the sponsors of the mobile communications centre at joBerg2c, Sani2c and Berg and Bush, all premier mountain bike stage races. As a sponsor of a top team like FEDGROUP – ITEC Connect, it will help us expand the ITEC Connect brand awareness beyond the boundaries of those events.”

“We’ve already achieved some good results towards the end of the 2011 season and look forward to continuing that success in 2012. It’s a small focused team, but Jacques and I have connected very well as teammates. Our sponsors have been so supportive and it’s great that they all have such passion for mountain biking too,” said Stewart, whose wife, former SA women’s downhill champion, Bridgette Stewart, will manage that team and also race at selected events.

The team will race Momsen Bikes, a relatively new South African bike brand.

“Racing is an integral part of product development. Brandon and I have known each other for quite some time and I have the utmost respect for him and his ability to not only win races, but also give very valuable feedback and input about his bike and equipment,” said Victor Momsen of Momsen Bikes.

“With Jacques Rossouw as his team partner and the support of FedGroup and ITEC Connect, 2012 is definitely going to be a very exciting year for the team and the brand. I am extremely proud to have them racing on Momsen Bikes.”

bs1.jpg

Brandon Stewart putting his Momsen SL929 through its paces.

jr1.jpg

Jacques Rossouw is thriving since his return from retirement.

Team FEDGROUP – ITEC Connect:

Brandon Stewart (rider, owner)

Jacques Rossouw (rider)

Bridgette Stewart (manager, rider)

Sponsors

Financial:

• FedGroup financial services

• ITEC Connect corporate communication solutions

• Kathea telecommunication solutions

Product:

• Momsen Bikes bicycles, parts and accessories

• Kia motor vehicles