Rider down at Kyalami

Li Mu Bai

I also ended up with a bee in my mouth coming down the mineshaft. When I went passed she was surrounded by a few people, but nothing was happening. I just hope that she recovers and gets back on the bike.

I also ended up with a bee in my mouth coming down the mineshaft. When I went passed she was surrounded by a few people, but nothing was happening. I just hope that she recovers and gets back on the bike.

Did you get stung?

Hi guys

Haven't been on for a few days, but here is some feedback.

The lady who fell was Karen, her husband was also riding (sorry can't remember his name) and was with her shortly after her accident.

She was conscious for the whole time. She was kept immobile until the paramedics arrived due to the fact that she had serious damage to her helmet which indicated a possible neck injury. She has numerous obvious roasties but no obvious broken bones.

A fellow rider, Mike, is a paramedic and attended to her and kept control of the situation. I was able to asist with getting an ambulance there quickly and assist in getting the road partly blocked to prevent a second collision.

It was a single bike accident, the other bikes were people who had stopped to help.

Once Netcare 911 arrived, I left to continue with my ride. I saw her hubby once they had loaded her into the ambulance and he said she was OK. I would suspect a significant concussion given the nature of the helmet damage.

A rider who was behind her just before she fell, said she drifted onto the red and white curb barrier and lost control. She is an experienced cyclist as while lying on the ground, her primary concern was whether she would be able to do her 10th Argus next year. Fighting spirit!

The plus side is that hubby gets to buy her a nice new helmet for Christmas.

Thanks to Netcare for reacting pretty promptly and to the circuit management who got a bakkie out on the track to protect the guys who were on the track.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by davem