[Event] The Herald VW Cycle Tour 2012

Cuba

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Bennie! The old diesel engine (aka 44x12) did the trick 15km from the end. Went from 4th to 2nd :-) Nothing better than turning a big gear over slowly and watching the laaitjies drop off. If the conditions were good I wouldn't have been top 3. The race turned out just like I predicted, the young guys suffer allot when conditions get bad.

Prize giving delayed by more than half an hour due to appeal by B Stewart

Any reasons available? How did the SS work out?

Azonic, well done bra. Nice to see us older okes keeping ahead of the laaities :)

@Roger: He said a marshal sent him the wrong way, which may make him the only 80k rider to stray from the course. All I know is when I rode past him, which was the muddiest section of the route, he was pushing his bike. The organisers gave in and awarded him and me joint fifth. The prize purse was increased so I'm not out of pocket.

The Ss was quite badly undergeared for the district roads but it came into its own on the muddy sections. Very happy I was on that bike and not some finicky dual suspension that would now cost 2k to service :)

Good riding Jules! Ja jong, Mr Stewart. Always controversial. The course was impossible to go wrong, if it was marked anything like the 65k. I think he would just be too embarrassed knowing a SS smoked him.

...and anything lower than 5th means no podium. And sponsors don't like riders riders sitting in the bleachers. He did what he had to do to make podium. Bad way to do it though.

AS for the event.finifshed top ten and my name wasnt even on the results page

and the single track would have been so good had summer not turned to winter this week.

What distance did you ride? I did the 60/65km, incase you think I did the 80odd km race. I find the 60ish distance event I can race, the 80ish one is just a case of finish where you can, no fun :thumbup:

Edited by Azonic

What distance did you ride? I did the 60/65km, incase you think I did the 80odd km race. I find the 60ish distance event I can race, the 80ish one is just a case of finish where you can, no fun :thumbup:

JA nee totaly agree...also "raced" according to GPS 65.4k...went bundu bashing in the single track section that cost me some time and a place or two? :thumbdown:

the only "80KM" event i will do is the Knysna one as for the rest....stick to the 65s and get some glory!

Hey Azonic,that kid that won looks like he weighs around 45 kg :o

Yeah, you should have seen him go up the Zuurberg pass. He went from 3rd on the road (I started the climb in 4th), to 1st (and stayed there). I caught the then 3rd and 2nd place guys at 15km to go and 3km to go. So 3rd and 4th went to 1st and 2nd, and 1st and 2nd dropped back to 3rd and 4th :thumbup:

Edited by Azonic

AS for the event.finifshed top ten and my name wasnt even on the results page

and the single track would have been so good had summer not turned to winter this week.

Hi Waadie

Can you give me some info (real name, race no, estimated finishing time, etc)

Did you pre-enter (online or in a cycle shop), or fill in a late entry form (On Friday in PE, or Saturday in Addo)?

Did you upgrade or downgrade your race distance at registration?

Did you collect your race number together with someone else (and possibly got them mixed up)?

We're confident that all riders crossing the finish line were captured, so I would like to investigate this for you.