Trans Karoo - what training is needed?

Smolly

I am thinking about doing the trans karoo.

I can comfortably do 50km mtb riding at the moment, but am wondering what sort of push would be needed to get ready for 240km in the saddle.

So, any hubber "experts" out there who can assist.

PS: I might be looking for a team mate as well

Acquiring the prowess to achieve your sport performance targets requires a sequential process starting at defining your goal, assessing your current reality and then define what is needed to bridge the gap. We approach this scientifically and offer the following:

•  
  • A comprehensive functional biometric and cardio assessment.
  • A personalised (according to your current level of conditioning) Anticipatory Response Sport Performance Coaching Programme.
  • A full biometric fit ensures optimal fit between your body and your sports equipment.
  • Guidance to define and achieve personal fitness and sports goals through performance & skills mind coaching.
  • Scientifically developed, clinically proven supplements are also available as option.

We customize and package individualised programmes according to personal goals – like our 36-weeks coaching programme for mountain bike riders preparing for the 2012 Cape Epic.

Contact me at pierre.xcosa@gmail.com should you be interested ...

Smolster easy answer - time in the saddle and plenty of hills thrown in. Last year rode my first Transbaviaans (235km) started with 6 weeks base training 6months before race, in the 4 months leading up to TB rode 500k per month and included 6 rides between 100 - 140km with a minimum of 2000m climb per ride. Cruized through TB in 16hours for an average ablity rider.

Do you want to win or finish the race?

Did the TransBaviaans 2010 and the terrain is district roads... except for a 200m towards the end. So thinking the TransKaroo will more or less be the same.

the kms go quickly. So if you can do a half technical 50kms comfortably, do 100kms a couple of times before the race, you'll finish it.

If you wanna win the race or beat your best friend's team... Dunno