TOTALSPORTS CHALLENGE

eames8

Hey there, so I came to the party late it seems for the TOTALSPORTS CHALLENGE, missed the online registrations (closed midnight on the 09th January 2012), so I'll be registering for the Terrafirma Challenge (4 events: Road Cycle, Road Run, MTB Cycle and Beach Run) as an individual.

Though the website and youtube is pretty informative, I wanted to get some of your guys' opinions on the event? I'm a newbie obviously (I couldn't track down a previous or current thread on the topic)

I've done the Terra Firma in 2009/10. Its a nice tough race! :thumbup:

The first 45km road bike ride is pretty much a big bunch ride till the Rooiels climb from there on it gets harder with some guys trying to get away. The 12.6km run is as flat as a pancake with the last 4km or so on smooth gravel road. The 24km MTB (575m ascent) is the tough off the run, basically up a mountain for the 1st half and then back down to Kleinmond again. Your legs will be hurting by now..

I dont know what the tide is like this year but in 2009 we ran the 9km beach run during high tide in 2010 it was low tide so a piece of cake compared to 09 think i ran 10min faster.. One tip dont let anybody tell you that must run with shoes on the beach i can remember not seeing anybody who started with shoes on the beach finish with them on. Sometimes you run in the ankle deep water from the waves as it cools you down and sand is harder...

Water points are pretty scarce so make sure you have a bottle you can run the first part of your run with and maybe on the beach run aswell, on the MTB i remember i stopped to fill up my bottle as i only carried one as it's at least 1h20 of MTB..

I wont be there this year.. Good luck hope you enjoy it! :thumbup:

Hey there, so I came to the party late it seems for the TOTALSPORTS CHALLENGE, missed the online registrations (closed midnight on the 09th January 2012), so I'll be registering for the Terrafirma Challenge (4 events: Road Cycle, Road Run, MTB Cycle and Beach Run) as an individual.

Though the website and youtube is pretty informative, I wanted to get some of your guys' opinions on the event? I'm a newbie obviously (I couldn't track down a previous or current thread on the topic)

I did this last year and enjoyed it although I suffered because I had not trained enough.

Everything that Warrior mentioned above is true. The road bike should be fast - although the direction of the wind may play a part. The road run is flat and easy but don't push too hard as the mountain bike is tough and will take its toll. I can also only remember one water point on the MTB route. The beach run is also tough - wish for a high tide. Don't bother with running shoes for this leg....I definitely did not see any other person wearing shoes.

Something else to mention is the first transition was a little chaotic last year. Make sure that you have a decent support team too. In my opinion it would be better to have at least 2 crew, each with a car.

awesome conditions on race day. Dan Hugo got his sixth consecutive win, but got overtaken on the run so clearly had to dig deep.

Hugo had to ward off an attack from formidable opponent, Stuart Marais. Marais made his break on the 13km road run discipline, putting approximately 3minutes into the defending champion going onto the 13km K1 canoe discipline. “I didn’t expect a fight on the day and then finding myself in the ring taking punches, it’s just difficult when you don’t have great form,” says Hugo. “I definitely have a lot of respect for Stuart and his talent. He is a remarkable athlete and for a split second there he had me considering letting go. After really digging deep I managed to catch him on the K1 paddle. It was on the mountain bike discipline that my second tank kicked in and I could build on my lead. I am really grateful to be able to take part in Kleinmond. The Totalsports Challenge remains one of my favourite events. My family’s support on the day was once again awesome”. Hugo completed the Totalsports Challenge in an impressive time of 06hours18minutes28seconds. Stuart Marais came in second, while Dylan Van Der Merwe finished third.

There was quite a lot of congestion on Clarence Drive, especially since the Terra Firma seems to have increased in numbers. However there were quite a lot of club rides there too with big groups making it very hard for the support vehicles. I think the diplomatic thing would be for the local clubs to give this awesome route a skip for this weekend and ride it the other 51weeks of the year. Word on the street is that the format could change for next year anyway.