want to build a single speed, but how..

wapad

I want to build a single speed road bike is it as simple as it sounds ..

I want to know what happens with the back wheel do you need a special hub and free body and also gearing and chain tension.

The other question would be about the the crank and sprocket again gearing I'm thinking around 40-42 as with my mountain bike

I have one hill that I have to climb on my rides home-silvermine hill in Noordhoek Capetown-

every ride

Any help would be good gonna use my trel slr frame lekker lekker..

I am converting my 6 year old roadbike onto a SS tomorrow.

1. Get spacers for the cog on the freehub.

2. Remove FD and RD and cables

3. Remove small blade and maybe use shorter chainring bolts.

4. Maybe get a BMX chain or at least just a new one.

That is that.

I am converting my 6 year old roadbike onto a SS tomorrow.

1. Get spacers for the cog on the freehub.

2. Remove FD and RD and cables

3. Remove small blade and maybe use shorter chainring bolts.

4. Maybe get a BMX chain or at least just a new one.

That is that.

You will most likely need a chain tensioner, springloaded is ok if you are staying on the road, but unsprung works better offroad.

Keep your normal wheel and freehub, get a rear sprocket/chainring, on the road with a 42 in the front, probably 18 at the back, this will be rather a hard gear but broadly applicable.

Enjoy, enjoy.

There need be only ONE!!!

converted my old 2.8 cannondale into a ss. didn't bother with a fancy chain tensioner, just left the rd on and turned the limit screw in as far as it could go. then lined the sprocket up on the freehub by using plastic spacers from old cassettes (btw i've heard of this done using pvc pipe over the freehub) and shortened the chain tight enough that the rd is at full extension (i.e. forward). been riding it for a year and a half like that with no worries (touch wood).

oh, and the gear ratio is 39x15 - ridden up edinburgh drive like that with a backpack so it's good for me (ok , was a bit of a grunt)

Edited by the (other) Nuge

And I are done.

I needed shorter chainring bolts to be able to get rid of the small chainring and I needed a tensioner, duh!

The bike is 6 years old but there is life in her still! :D

post-7694-0-57152700-1327918164.jpg

Edited by The real MJ