Cyclist down on Bottelarey

Cippo

Cyclist was knocked down on Bottelarey rd near Bottelarey winery. Taken to Tygerberg hospital in stable condition. From reports he was a commuter knocked from behind by bakkie. Whether commuting or training be careful out there please.

Tch, tch, tch!

Hope the rider is okay.

Sounds like a tough scenario.

And Bottelary is such a good choice of road to train/ride on....

:mellow:

Edited by ' Dale

Heal well rider! Sheesh, with the roads being so busy this time of year, I'd hate for the accident count to increase :eek: :thumbdown:

Chances are that the sun was shining in the driver's eyes....... sound familiar to a recent accident (couple months back) ?! :cursing: Drivers, if you can't see, stay out of the yellow lane!

As far as I know he was a worker from the area. He is ok, no apparent broken bones just alot of abrasions. Seems like he ended up off the road after being knocked down.

Glad to hear he is ok!

Hi-jack on:

I was in Cape Town over the weekend and noticed a few things about cycling.

Firstly, you oakes have some amazing roads to cycle on, There are a number of wide roads with a decent shoulder, and some great climbs to train on. It was good to see lots of cyclists on the roads. I was quite miffed that I didn't have my bike. It seems like the motorists are much friendlier to the cyclists than here in Gauteng, but having said that...

You guys really have some crazy, stupid, inconsiderate and oblivious cyclists down there! Obviously this is due to all of the weekend warriors getting some last minute two week training before the argus, but I couldn't believe the number of cyclists cycling from Fishoek to scarborough (is it the M65?) :eek: :eek:.

It is such a narrow road with plenty of blind corners, and cyclists all over the place. Most of these cyclist had zero bike handling skills, and simply would not move out of the way, even riding three abreast.. Every year there are hundreds of complaints about the cyclists in the Cradle of Human kind, but even we are no match for the chaos that I witnessed there! :thumbdown:

From what I saw, I am VERY amazed to hear that there was only one cyclist knocked down over the weekend.

It is refreshing to see motorists who are more considerate towards the cyclists, but you guys need to insure that it stays that way!!

Hi-jack/Rant off.

Glad to hear he is ok!

Hi-jack on:

I was in Cape Town over the weekend and noticed a few things about cycling.

Firstly, you oakes have some amazing roads to cycle on, There are a number of wide roads with a decent shoulder, and some great climbs to train on. It was good to see lots of cyclists on the roads. I was quite miffed that I didn't have my bike. It seems like the motorists are much friendlier to the cyclists than here in Gauteng, but having said that...

You guys really have some crazy, stupid, inconsiderate and oblivious cyclists down there! Obviously this is due to all of the weekend warriors getting some last minute two week training before the argus, but I couldn't believe the number of cyclists cycling from Fishoek to scarborough (is it the M65?) :eek: :eek:.

It is such a narrow road with plenty of blind corners, and cyclists all over the place. Most of these cyclist had zero bike handling skills, and simply would not move out of the way, even riding three abreast.. Every year there are hundreds of complaints about the cyclists in the Cradle of Human kind, but even we are no match for the chaos that I witnessed there! :thumbdown:

From what I saw, I am VERY amazed to hear that there was only one cyclist knocked down over the weekend.

It is refreshing to see motorists who are more considerate towards the cyclists, but you guys need to insure that it stays that way!!

Hi-jack/Rant off.

Agree 100% It's these 'cyclists' that give the 'real cyclists' a bad name. These guys come out of the woodwork once a year for the world funride champs and then the bike goes on the hooks again for next years ride - they have no consideration of the lasting effect on motorists for other riders that ride the whole year through. :thumbdown: and chances are, out of training season, these are the drivers that b!tch and moan that cyclists should stay off the road.

Most roads in the cape are ride-able, but keep single file on the stretches that don't have a shoulder, and all will be fine. :thumbup: