Help and wanted: XT/Deore left crank cap

andydude

Me again.

First question - I seemed to have lost my XT/Deore left crank cap and since then the crank slips and falls off quite regularly. Is that only due to the cap or is there something more, e.g. the thread where the crank goes onto the BB being damaged?

Secondly - would anybody have that cap that I can buy? I can't seem to find it at any bikeshop.

Do you have the part number of your crank? I replaced some on an old LX crank the other day. May be able to help you.

I also don`t have a cap on my xt crank I thought it was not meant to have one, it has got a black thing with a hole in not sure if this is the cap. The crank has never came loose.

Edited by Andre Maree

I also don`t have a cap on my xt crank I thought it was not meant to have one, but the crank has never came loose.

There seems to be another problem here, that cap should NOT be holding the crank arm in place. I also had one missing and got a replacement from the LBS, you will need a tool to get it properly tightened. Its more a safety feature for the crank arm not to fall of.

the 2 bolts and the circlip should suffice. if you talking about about that plastic cap your lbs should have Bawmans gave me one they had laying around

Do you have the part number of your crank? I replaced some on an old LX crank the other day. May be able to help you.

I'll check tonight and let you know. Thanks.

Your LBS should have plenty second hands floating around.

Apparently they don't. And I've asked them to order, but nothing.

I also don`t have a cap on my xt crank I thought it was not meant to have one, it has got a black thing with a hole in not sure if this is the cap. The crank has never came loose.

Yes, that black plastic cap that screws into the BB. The "hole" is for the tool to screw it in, as far as I know.

There seems to be another problem here, that cap should NOT be holding the crank arm in place. I also had one missing and got a replacement from the LBS, you will need a tool to get it properly tightened. Its more a safety feature for the crank arm not to fall of.

That's what I'm afraid of. Maybe the bolts were a bit loose for whatever reason and the crank might have slipped a bit and then damaged the thread/spline or whatever it's called and now it won't stay on no matter how much I tighten the bolts. Why do I see new BB/crankset in my future?!

I'll check tonight and let you know. Thanks.

Apparently they don't. And I've asked them to order, but nothing.

Yes, that black plastic cap that screws into the BB. The "hole" is for the tool to screw it in, as far as I know.

That's what I'm afraid of. Maybe the bolts were a bit loose for whatever reason and the crank might have slipped a bit and then damaged the thread/spline or whatever it's called and now it won't stay on no matter how much I tighten the bolts. Why do I see new BB/crankset in my future?!

New crank please :clap: They are doing a good deal on XT 3x10 Dynasys cranks at Easybike, cheapest I have found.

I lost mine about 5 years ago. MY LBS told me it wan't necessary and after a few thousand kms (Epib, Joburg2c, Sani2c, ...) I have to agree...

Me again.

First question - I seemed to have lost my XT/Deore left crank cap and since then the crank slips and falls off quite regularly. Is that only due to the cap or is there something more, e.g. the thread where the crank goes onto the BB being damaged?

Secondly - would anybody have that cap that I can buy? I can't seem to find it at any bikeshop.

Yep. Coolheat. If your bike shop ain't lazy, they can order one. HOWEVER !!, there are two different internal thread diameters. The older model cranks have a thicker shaft, with a smaller internal thread dia. The newer cranks have a thinner walled shaft with a larger ID. You will need to specify the right size.

KCNC do a bling alu. one in different colours. (although Paragon don't always stock)

That is the 'thing' he is referring to.

There seems to be another problem here, that cap should NOT be holding the crank arm in place. TRUE I also had one missing and got a replacement from the LBS, you will need a tool to get it properly tightened TRUE. Its more a safety feature for the crank arm not to fall of. FALSE

The 'cap' is the crank arm fixing bolt. It is there for an important reason. It sets the correct torque between the left crank arm and the bearing in the BB. Without it you can not tighten the crank arm onto the shaft properly.

Step 1. Place right (drive side) through the BB.

Step 2. Orientate left crank arm onto shaft splines.

Step 2a. Good smack together with your palms.

Step 3. Place crank arm fixing bolt into threaded section, and tighten using the tool (shimano, BBB, Park) to 'decent thumb strength tight'. (0.7 to 1.5 N.m to be exakkery)

Step 4. Push the plate between the pinchbolts down into its seat.

Step 5. Tighten the pinchbolts incrementally and evenly- a bit for one, a bit for the other until tight - 14 N.m

To the poster who said it ain't necessary, and to the bike shop who said it ain't necessary..............well now, why do you think Shimano bothered to include it in the box??

NUBBINS.

I lost mine about 5 years ago. MY LBS told me it wan't necessary and after a few thousand kms (Epib, Joburg2c, Sani2c, ...) I have to agree...

Change your bike shop.

I have the Deore XT groupset and from the number on the crank arm it looks like code FC-M770/771-K, which would be the Hallowtech crankset.

Technical document: http://techdocs.shim...69830621041.pdf

It looks like the "cap" is actually called the Crank Arm Fixing Bolt with Shimano Code Y-1F8 11100.

I've attached a few pictures. Excuse the unclean bike - I know it's a sin!

post-12446-0-43255200-1330502961.jpg

post-12446-0-55914700-1330502968.jpg

post-12446-0-42680000-1330502977.jpg

post-12446-0-37331000-1330502985.jpg

I have the Deore XT groupset and from the number on the crank arm it looks like code FC-M770/771-K, which would be the Hallowtech crankset.

Technical document: http://techdocs.shim...69830621041.pdf

It looks like the "cap" is actually called the Crank Arm Fixing Bolt with Shimano Code Y-1F8 11100.

I've attached a few pictures. Excuse the unclean bike - I know it's a sin!

There are two hex bolts opposing each other. See pic below.

Better clean up before fitting.

post-24908-0-74823300-1330516228.jpg