Sir Lowry's railway line ride

malcolmt

Any advice for someone wanting to ride up Sir Lowrys using the railway line + wagon trail to Groenlandberg? Anyone interested in riding on Sat 3rd March 60-80 km ride if possible?

Err...watch out crossing that line!!

Fell myself mo3rtoe on that line not so long ago!! :eek:

Seriously - It's fine to ride there...you'll probably come across acouple of Schapenberg club riders...

Done the wagon wheels a couple of times...not a bad walk for the "rewards" afterwards...and an improved track from what it was (now - bit shorter walk!!)

Pity I can't join you...

How did it go, malcolmt? I bet Groenlandberg was a bit longer away than expected, given all the climbing to get there!

I miss my hometown(SW). Did this sort of route every month, rode to Hanse Kop, then trails afterewards...absaluteluy fabulouse...who knows maybe in 6 months or so Ill be back home again. Always about 60km,,,,grueling but never any regrets. Coming down wagon wheels was always erm..entertaining for a spectator if they ever had to be any.

Seriously - It's fine to ride there...you'll probably come across acouple of Schapenberg club riders...

Done the wagon wheels a couple of times...not a bad walk for the "rewards" afterwards...and an improved track from what it was (now - bit shorter walk!!)

Pity I can't join you...

fancy being a tour guide soonish ?

Somerset West is MTB heaven...As soon as the hot weather calms down I`m gonna plan a Skaap&berg/Wagontrail/GrabouwMTO and back ride, watch this space if anybody wanna join. Skaap&berg only opens @8am and will result in too much heat on a long ride like this, but surely there`s gonna be a mild weekend soon.

It was a good ride. Lots of walking up and down the wagon trail. Rode up to the plateau below Hanse Kop- didnt quite make the communication towers -lots of climbing. Then rode some of the WTW routes in grabouw - all in all a great ride ~80 km. Didnt quite make Groenlandberg, but I think it would be reachable without trying Hanse Kop. Started at 7 in Gordons Bay, back at 13h00 - so 6 hours in total. Good base mile training ride. I would also be interested in going up the wagon trail and then crossing over to ride some of the trails around Steenbras dam.

Which one is Hanse Kop? The zigzag tar road to the top of the mountain, directly north of Sir Lowry's pass?

Which one is Hanse Kop? The zigzag tar road to the top of the mountain, directly north of Sir Lowry's pass?

The one with all the antennas on top of it

fancy being a tour guide soonish ?

Yip!!

Haven't been there for some time now...as long as it is at MY pace...not your Argus racing pace!! ha ha ha...

Let's talk...

Might be very interested in doing this ride. Keep me in mind when you guys plan a ride.

udxcob, you keen too?