Cadiz Freedom Swim

Milkworx

Looks interesting.

Something I wouldn't mind attempting... The cold water scares me a little... :S

Tried to click on the link but can't get through (using my BB)...want to see what you have to do in order to qualify.

Looks interesting.

Something I wouldn't mind attempting... The cold water scares me a little... :S

Tried to click on the link but can't get through (using my BB)...want to see what you have to do in order to qualify.

Me too, will do it with a wetsuit for sure! (think its allowed, just not eligible for prizes then)

I don't know what the requirements are, website just has letter on and no info. http://www.freedomswim.co.za/

The facebook group would probably be the best place to ask.

I saw some of the photos on Facebook, i see a few people just swam in normal costume. I'm not too sure if i want to swim in a wetsuit...i prefer to look like me and not a seal! ;)

Some more info here...http://leapcommunications.co.za/freedomswim/Swim%20Update/2011/Swim_Update1/Update1.html#5

Ya, i'll message one of ladies on the FB site and see what they have to say...

I have tried. And failed. The distance is not a problem. The problem is, it is channel swimming rules. No wetsuit. So you are looking at around 3 hours in the water with bare skin mostly. In training I could go up to just over an hour, and then it starts going pear shaped very quickly from there. A bit of body fat will go a long way to help, of which I have none. After some training sessions it would take me around 3 hours to stop shaking and warm up again. I really thought I could, hitting the 1 hour mark and feeling solid, just to be near hypothermia 15 minutes later. Amazing how, when your core drops below a certain point it just tickets. In a few minutes. There are days when the water is warmer though, and on those days I could make it. But I don't want to have to bank on getting a warm water day to make it.

Perhaps one day I can learn to do it. Suspect I will have to pick up 5-7kg at least though .....

Great info on the link thanks! :clap:

Cool please let me know what they say....

Very true, the way I'll be splashing around might attract some attention from unwanted "friends" :(

If you do a shorter event, or a team relay, then a wetsuit is allowed. But if you want to do a solo channel crossing, then no suit.

Very true, the way I'll be splashing around might attract some attention from unwanted "friends" :(

Are the sharks a huge threat ? There are spotters right ? Must be quiet freaky and what is the Vizz like ? anyone done it ?

Are the sharks a huge threat ? There are spotters right ? Must be quiet freaky and what is the Vizz like ? anyone done it ?

Sharks are the least of your worries

I'm not worried about the sharks...just the cold water :S

Hmmmm, maybe i should spend a good few days in a bath tub filled with ice...

Have a year to train...winter on its way...will see...maybe go up to the berg in winter and swim in a river for about 3 hours...eh, will read into it and see what i should do in order to get my body ready for the cold water.

I'm a lady, we always have extra fat on our bodies ;)

Edited by Bronabee

Hmmmm, maybe i should spend a good few days in a bath tub filled with ice...

Not a bad idea, some people actually do it. You will notice on the photos that most people seem to have a little bit of extra fat. It is on purpose (well, for some at least), and makes all the difference. Just not as easily achievable for all :thumbdown:

I live here, so can fortunately train in the ocean .... when I train that is. Haven't been in the water for a while :blush:

EDIT: Have been in the water, just not for swim training per se.

Edited by Pronutro

I live here, so can fortunately train in the ocean .... when I train that is. Haven't been in the water for a while :blush:

I live by the ocean as well but Indian Ocean....so can train in the ocean but eh won't be cold enough.

hahaha, well i have enough fat on my body...but if i need to stock up on chocolates for a lil extra...then so be it...torture ;p

I live by the ocean as well but Indian Ocean....so can train in the ocean but eh won't be cold enough.

hahaha, well i have enough fat on my body...but if i need to stock up on chocolates for a lil extra...then so be it...torture ;p

Haha, I am sure.