Carrying while cycling

So I received this email about a “skills course” for carrying a firearm while cycling.. (I have not attended or vetted this course, and I am not promoting the course at all, or even promoting carrying while on the bike.. as I personally don’t anymore..)

the reason this interests me is because I work in the firearms industry and I like to ride my bicycle.. my company also makes a chest bag that is designed for sport or outdoor activities while still keeping your firearm close and in a very accessible way.. I tested it while mountain biking and it worked really well because of the riding position.. on the road position it’s hideous and I would not ride with it.. and don’t ride with one.. 

I would like to know what your guys opinions are on riding with a firearm and if you would do a course related to it.. assuming the course would actually be beneficial and not just rubbish, which these often are.. or I would like to hear whatever else your opinion might be on the matter of cycling and firearms.. is it something you consider or is it just a big no no..?

IMG_2487.png

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its worse to be caught with one than without.

I also doubt i could de escalate a situation with a gun if the perp also has one.

I think some basic combat training ( not this self defense ****, real fighting) is advantageous in that if the perp is just relying on intimidation.

But in reality 99.9999% of time its safer for the individual to just hand over, claim from insurance and keep on seeing loved ones.

I am in KZN for the week. Flew down and left my EDC in one of the safes on the farm. I have felt lost all week without it. Scary how something that was a mission a year ago is a hollow gap now.

I do carry on the mtb from time to time(usually testing) and while running most of the time.

Running has become easy with my decathlon running belt. It holds the gun firmly. Loose shirt covers it in the 6 o clock. I was running between 3 and 5am for the early part of the year so it was an added comfort. Only drew it once so far when I startled a jackal next to the road and it jumped out the long grass. Thankfully that reaffirmed my carry method, draw speed and control over my decision in the moment.

On the bike I have yet to find a good spot. I am more confident carrying it deep cover appendix with the idea of handing over the bike straight up and then building space before drawing. The key there is that they better only check back pockets and take watch. Also requires larger baggy shirt.

Appendix turns into halfway up your stomach with the seating ppositioning bib on the bike though.

Wearing my running vest seems to be a good option as well. Stops printing. Phone visible in a front pocket means I can hand the whole vest over. Build a gap and draw. But I am still not sold on it either. I was doing a lot of testing on the IDT in my gym last year as well. 

For now I will run carrying. But I will probably save the fight for insurance on the bike. Seems like bike hijackers just want a bike to sell and maybe a watch and phone. I can also jump on the IDT in the early hours and have it ready.

I am weary to take training from someone on it. I would like to vet both cycling and firearm experience...

Too much of a liability for me personally. If they even suspect you may have a gun your chances of getting away unharmed are probably zero and the bike becomes a distant second and the gun first prize for them. I have to ask myself what are the odds of me needing to use that gun and successfuly using it, versus it being used on me or taken. On the other hand I completely uderstand anyone feeling they need to carry one in this day and age.

.... And then there's what happens after you've shot the joker who held you up for your bike and he's lying there in a pool of blood and the blue lights are arriving and instead of signing your affidavit and waiting for your case number to pass on to insurance you're answering questions about why you've killed someone.

To me it sounds like a good way to make a terrible situation even worse.

Of course if there criminal is intent on making it a you or me fight then a person would wish to be armed and that can and does happen but on balance of probabilities I believe that having a gun will skew likely outcomes towards the catastrophic

Here's my opinion: 

If you have any hesitation about taking a life / cause harm, then you should not have the means to do so. A firearm / knife / baton / self-defense course all have one intended outcome and that is to neutralize the threat.

You will have to either match the threat level (gun with gun, knife with knife, etc.) or submit to the threat. Either way, the perp woke up that morning not worrying about if he / she will be home for dinner. 

I ride with my gun all the time (almost 3 years now). I am always on my own and am always far away from people but these days there seems to be scavengers all over the place nicking farm gates, uprights, wire, anything they can find. Soon it may be my time to be liberated.

The pistol is in a cheap but well retaining kydex holster with an Ulti clip on it...around the 4pm position. Works perfectly on my MTB shorts (baggys). My manky old Mr Price shirts that are not skin tight cover it up quite well.  I wouldnt keep it in a bag though as you may need to chuck that down and bolt....I use the same setup when doing little trail runs or out for a days hike. I think having one of those camelbak bumbags also helps secure the gun as the belt goes over the holster area.

The morons are welcome to the bike, its insured, I really dont care but unfortunately this is South Africa and you are likely to be shot anyway if you comply. Maybe more so if you are on your own out in the sticks with no-one else around.  Im not there to kill people...Just protect myself.

Its your own choice to ride with one or without. 

Edited by Mojoman

1 hour ago, Sandro said:

Too much of a liability for me personally. If they even suspect you may have a gun your chances of getting away unharmed are probably zero and the bike becomes a distant second and the gun first prize for them. I have to ask myself what are the odds of me needing to use that gun and successfuly using it, versus it being used on me or taken. On the other hand I completely uderstand anyone feeling they need to carry one in this day and age.

This. Why i wouldn't ride with someone if i knew they were carrying a weapon.

You can do you, but then go do it on your own imo. Don't put me in a possibly compromising position.
I have first hand experience / knowledge of someone who also carried, walked home from work one afternoon, tried to deescalate an attempted mugging, and died on the sidewalk, killed with his own gun.

no thanks.

Edited by MORNE

4 hours ago, BaGearA said:

I also doubt i could de escalate a situation with a gun if the perp also has one.

I think some basic combat training ( not this self defense ****, real fighting) is advantageous in that if the perp is just relying on intimidation.

But in reality 99.9999% of time its safer for the individual to just hand over, claim from insurance and keep on seeing loved ones.

Until you are stabbed with a spear. Then the Game changes very very quickly. 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

You can do you, but then go do it on your own imo. Don't put me in a possibly compromising position.
I have first hand experience / knowledge of someone who also carried, walked home from work one afternoon, tried to deescalate an attempted mugging, and died on the sidewalk, killed with his own gun.

no thanks.

Don't do army boet, we shoot you before the enemy. 

11 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Here's my opinion: 

If you have any hesitation about taking a life / cause harm, then you should not have the means to do so. A firearm / knife / baton / self-defense course all have one intended outcome and that is to neutralize the threat.

You will have to either match the threat level (gun with gun, knife with knife, etc.) or submit to the threat. Either way, the perp woke up that morning not worrying about if he / she will be home for dinner. 

Legally you do not have to “match the threat level”.. someone is trying to hurt you with a knife, lethal force is justified in the eyes of the FCA.. 

13 hours ago, BaGearA said:

Do you doubt you could de escalate with a gun as you are now.? Would you be more comfortable if there was a legit firearms self defense course and if you trained and were proficient with a gun.? Or would you not even consider going down that road..?

10 hours ago, MORNE said:

no thanks.

Lots of people that carry guns that have no business carrying.. it’s an unfortunate truth.. just having a gun doesn’t make you safe, it’s knowing how to use it across a multitude of possible situations..

11 hours ago, Mojoman said:

I ride with my gun all the time (almost 3 years now). I am always on my own and am always far away from people but these days there seems to be scavengers all over the place nicking farm gates, uprights, wire, anything they can find. Soon it may be my time to be liberated.

The pistol is in a cheap but well retaining kydex holster with an Ulti clip on it...around the 4pm position. Works perfectly on my MTB shorts (baggys). My manky old Mr Price shirts that are not skin tight cover it up quite well.  I wouldnt keep it in a bag though as you may need to chuck that down and bolt....I use the same setup when doing little trail runs or out for a days hike. I think having one of those camelbak bumbags also helps secure the gun as the belt goes over the holster area.

The morons are welcome to the bike, its insured, I really dont care but unfortunately this is South Africa and you are likely to be shot anyway if you comply. Maybe more so if you are on your own out in the sticks with no-one else around.  Im not there to kill people...Just protect myself.

Its your own choice to ride with one or without. 

In mtb kit it is a lot easier to conceal.. with roadie kit its pretty much impossible..