Garmin E500 Questions

The Ghost

I wanted to take a route found on Map My Ride the other day into my E 500. problem is file formats are not compatiable... After much googling found this site which is very handy for quickly converting file formats... the only thing was for somer reason it didn't take the elevation data, but the route was spot on...

link

edit - the other tip i picked up when doing that, is once you have an accepted file format you can copy and paste directly into your Garmin when connected (in the folder "new Files").

Edited by dracs

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My computer knowledge extends as far as using various software packages, would not even know where to begin. Would you pay for such a service and how would revenue be brought in? Purely from advertising?

It all depends what your goal is, but you can get a website for about R50 a month; but my suggestion was more with a community vibe for SA riders and the gains would be the sharing instead of money. Alternatively, just sharing the files on Google docs costs nothing.

My suggestion would have been something on here, we're already a community here, maybe a section under riding, where each thread is the provincial area, the thread itself is an description of the ride with the gpx file as an attachment.

G

PS: Even a link he means we need to go away, look somewhere else.

G

It all depends what your goal is, but you can get a website for about R50 a month; but my suggestion was more with a community vibe for SA riders and the gains would be the sharing instead of money. Alternatively, just sharing the files on Google docs costs nothing.

What does R50/ month get you in terms of running a website? I have no idea. Its something I could look into, but was just under the impression that costs would need to be covered by the person runnning the site. I'll speak to a few people over the weekend and see what I can come up with.

My suggestion would have been something on here, we're already a community here, maybe a section under riding, where each thread is the provincial area, the thread itself is an description of the ride with the gpx file as an attachment.

G

PS: Even a link he means we need to go away, look somewhere else.

G

The thing is if it was done through the hub you are limiting yourself, not everyone comes onto the hub.

There's already a bunch of similar sites. Strava, Endomondo, MapmyRide, RidewithGPS... the list goes on. Oh, and Garmin (dis-)Connect (Tankman-ism...).

If you want to still do it, then why not just utilise the Routes section - it's already there. Why re-invent the wheel?

There's already a bunch of similar sites. Strava, Endomondo, MapmyRide, RidewithGPS... the list goes on. Oh, and Garmin (dis-)Connect (Tankman-ism...).

If you want to still do it, then why not just utilise the Routes section - it's already there. Why re-invent the wheel?

Which is the best one to use then, are they dedicated to SA trails? Not planning on reinventing the wheel at all, just discussing things at the moment.

Which is the best one to use then, are they dedicated to SA trails? Not planning on reinventing the wheel at all, just discussing things at the moment.

I use Garmin Connect as my backup to store every ride - it's ok, not fancy, does let you create and share routes and activities.

Recently I started using Strava as well - it has a different feel and focus to Connect, and so far I'm liking it a lot. There seem to be quite a few other WC riders on there (I assume the same goes for other provinces). What is nice is the "segments" feature that lets you compare sections of your ride (e.g. hill climbs) with other riders. When you upload a ride, it automatically finds segments you or other people created and shows you how you did on them. It also doesn't need a Garmin - if you have an iPhone or Android (i think) they have an app to log rides.

I also looked at MapMyRide - looks good, but didn't seem to offer anything unique I wasn't already getting from Connect and Strava.

I used FitTrack for this last road ride season - not bad either, and I liked the "fitness score" feature, but aside from that there wasn't enough extra to make it worth the extra time to log to another site. If you are a Momentum health customer it may be worthwhile for fitness points though.

I'll continue to use both though Strava and Connect for now, just so I have a backup in case one dies off.

What does R50/ month get you in terms of running a website?

This is my blog (not very busy at the moment), but it costs me about that.

www.technewsviews.com - It includes a bunch of hosted software options a database or two.

But using The Hub would probably be easier, and give a nice local flava instead of all these international services - just a thought. Then people could share maps and chat about the routes etc in a place where they already are.

Edited by Richard Best

This is my blog (not very busy at the moment), but it costs me about that.

www.technewsviews.com

But using The Hub would probably be easier, and give a nice local flava instead of all these international services - just a thought. Then people could share maps and chat about the routes etc in a place where they already are.

As you say, whats needed is a completely local trail sharing site, but like I said, not everyone is on the hub. It can work via the hub, but needs a bigger support base then just the hub.

For sure, but The Hub already has people that can spread the news, if you start your own thing you start with a user base of 0.

So The Hub provides you the space to host the service, and you get hubbers exposure, while your service will in turn attract more people to the hub, so its a win win :thumbup:

Sorry guys - I disagree

Having local content, forums, friends, route maps etc etc etc - I 100% agree on.

But why does that mean an appropriate international site can't be used? Most of the big sites have already had to figure out how to create great tools, like phone apps for those without GPS, and also the nasty but important stuff about capacity for fluctuating peak demand, resilency, cloud hosting, backup etc. It might not seem like those matter, until the site is dead or down half the time.

From what I can see, Strava, Connect, MapMyRide etc have all the features you need for local use - it's just the community aspect of making sure they get used and people know about them. That's more about promoting and sharing knowledge on them.

Creating sites as good as these will be a serious and expensive challenge, why repeat it just to re-invent the wheel. Why not just post links to rides you do with them?

I also like the fact I get to share rides and experiences with buddies who live overseas and also love cycling.

Just my view - YMMV

For sure, but The Hub already has people that can spread the news, if you start your own thing you start with a user base of 0.

So The Hub provides you the space to host the service, and you get hubbers exposure, while your service will in turn attract more people to the hub, so its a win win :thumbup:

Good thinking Batman

Sorry guys - I disagree

Having local content, forums, friends, route maps etc etc etc - I 100% agree on.

But why does that mean an appropriate international site can't be used? Most of the big sites have already had to figure out how to create great tools, like phone apps for those without GPS, and also the nasty but important stuff about capacity for fluctuating peak demand, resilency, cloud hosting, backup etc. It might not seem like those matter, until the site is dead or down half the time.

From what I can see, Strava, Connect, MapMyRide etc have all the features you need for local use - it's just the community aspect of making sure they get used and people know about them. That's more about promoting and sharing knowledge on them.

Creating sites as good as these will be a serious and expensive challenge, why repeat it just to re-invent the wheel. Why not just post links to rides you do with them?

I also like the fact I get to share rides and experiences with buddies who live overseas and also love cycling.

Just my view - YMMV

Im just throwing out ideas for Caerus, I dont know what those other sites offer as I havnt been to them, and perhaps Caerus is looking for something specific or different. - Garmin maps only etc

@Walkerr - do you know if any of the existing services allow you to upload Garmin maps / routes, and to exchange them?

I know some allow Garmin data to share, but I dont know about being able to load somebody elses map from these services.

Im just throwing out ideas for Caerus, I dont know what those other sites offer as I havnt been to them, and perhaps Caerus is looking for something specific or different. - Garmin maps only etc

All good.

I'm all for sharing ride info - will be good for everyone, and the hub is a natural landing point to start from. I reckon the existing sites will serve us better though if we use/link to them, rather than trying to create our own