So which frame must I get?

Andymann

I need to replace my trusty Giant TCR ONCE team edition frame - my components are all still top-notch replaced about 2 years back (Full Campag Chorus with Eurus wheels), but after 10 years, i'm a bit worried about the frame cracking.

I love the compact geometry, so the logical replacment well be another Giant. But, TCR Carbon frame alone is R14K......So, do I bite the bullet and fork out for Carbon, or do I buy a whole TCR2 Aluminium Giant for R10K, build all my bits over to the new frame and sell the leftovers on the Hub :-) My bike now is just under 8kg (not bad for old school), so I don't necessarily want to go backwards in weight. I've never ridden carbon, so I don't know about ride quality. I do mostly MTB and Duathlon, so It's not like I'm doing 8 hours per weekend on the roadbike - we race mostly 40km TT's.

Any comments?

Description:

Monocoque frame in 12k large weave carbon fibre, pre-impregnated with epoxy resins. The special ribbing and the waisted cross-sections are the result of a painstaking design work using cad 3D models and software. A young and simple frame design, completes a frame which is very fast on the road, perfect for accurate cornering, and high performance while accelerating. It is the perfect compromise between weight and performance.

• Raw frame weight: 970 gr
  • Raw fork weight: 340 gr

Yea thanks! I was on the website as we speak. Looks damn nice. I'm in CT this weekend for the Momentum Du so I might just have a look. Still burns my ass having to pay R13K for a frameset though....

Check the classifieds for a secondhand frame, I think that's your best bet to be honest.