3x10 vs 2x10 for the below average Mtb rider

River Rat

Cejay just looking at the gear ratios you used on Notties I can see why you could see no difference between on the uphills. A 26 front 36 back gives a Gain Ratio of 1.55 compare to a conventional 22f and 34 b which has a Gain Ratio of 1.48 not too much of a difference. However when it comes to the big blade your 39f and 11b has a Gain Ratio of 7.63 vs 44f and 11b Gain Ratio of 8.61 which is quite large.

So according to the calculations you would have been at a disadvantage on the 13km downhill, was this actually the case?

I passed guys going downhill,going downhill is not just about ratios.

Cejay I'm sure you're right and it clearly works for you. As it stands I have a problem on hills and I can't see the adavantage for me taking into account my type of riding to change to a 2x10. I know this is a typical engineering approach but these calcs confirm my experience on where the advantages are between the 29er and 26er when it comes to top speed. So I tend to rely on them.

Good luck for Joberg2c, are you riding your 29er?

Jip I'll be on the 29er and so will be my wife with the same ratios.(She weighs 50 kg's)