Who believes the marketing XYZ??

Dicky DQ

Who believes the marketing XYZ?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Tapered Headset makes the MTB more rigid?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. Through Axel makes the MTB more rigid?

• YES
    • NO
  3. 3. Bigger BB makes bike stiffer?

• YES
    • NO

My thoughts.... What a lot o crock.

And the reasons are, in no particular order; Tapered Headset, Special Lefty design, Though Axel, all good and well making those parts stiffer but, where the rubber hits the road it all depends on the stiffness of the tire sidewall, the profile of the tire and the pressure. If you are riding a 29r with non UST tires at 1.8 bar, there is Huge flex, lack of torsional stiffness etc. compared to a 26r with full UST running 4 bar.

Bigger BB, same applies as above.

and the latest Whoopla....., wait for it more spokes on the load/stress bearing side??? WTF?? E.g. Fulcrim 2:1 on the front wheel there are 2 spokes on the disk side compared to the non disk side. OK thinking about it, under breaking, the caliper grips the disk which is attached to the "new bigger through axle shaft", so maybe. Not! Can there really be so much of a difference between the stresses on the 2 sides?

And on the back wheel the 2:1 ration is on the drive side, but the same thing applies here.

Or am I wrong you gurus out there; please help this poor dude.

Edited by Dick

wait for it more spokes on the load/stress bearing side??? WTF?? E.g. Fulcrim 2:1 on the front wheel there are 2 spokes on the disk side compared to the non disk side. OK thinking about it, under breaking, the caliper grips the disk which is attached to the "new bigger through axle shaft", so maybe. Not! Can there really be so much of a difference between the stresses on the 2 sides?

And on the back wheel the 2:1 ration is on the drive side, but the same thing applies here.

Due to the dishing, the spokes on the brake side and on the drive side have to be tightened to a higher tension than the other spokes, so they do experience higher stresses. I doubt it's enough to truly justify a 2:1 pattern, though.

there fixed

Its an Axle, not an Axel or an Alex, and certainly not Axl, lol. Third time lucky

Thanks to Fulcrum Wheels:

"What is Two-to-One™?

A system that is as simple as it is effective, the result of the ingenuity of the Fulcrum® engineers and attentive observation of the results of the tests performed on the wheels on a daily basis.

These tests made it possible to understand that the forces that act on the sides of the wheel, and therefore on the spokes, are extremely different; but what’s more, the differences between the front and rear wheels are also evident and significant. The front wheel, in fact, has to remain stable even during braking of the disk on the left side, and the rear wheel, in addition to making room for the sprocket set, has to compensate for the traction of the force on the chain side.

So how can we keep the wheel perfectly in balance even when it is stressed by braking and acceleration? By doubling the number of spokes and positioning them in such a way that, for each stress on one side of the wheel, there is an equal and opposite force on the other side. This may seem like a simple solution, but especially on harsh and demanding terrains like those of off-road riding, the 2:1 Two-to-One™ system is crucial for ensuring consistent control of your bike even in the most critical situations.

Advantages: The advantages are truly striking.

In braking, the front wheel maintains the desired trajectory and does not skid, while the rear wheel, precisely due to this spoking system, reaches a high level of torsional stiffness that enables the optimal transfer of power to the wheel. The 2:1 Two-to-OneTM system also makes it possible to reduce the unit load sustained by each spoke, and this minimises mechanical stress, prolonging the life of the wheel."

Keep the Wheel in Balance...........

More ridged?

More mountainous?

You forgot the most successful marketing ploy: bigger wheels!

No worries I have them all now, just looking to see what is better. Can't find anything, Oh wait, with through axles; now if I take the wheels off to transport the bike in the car i have to watch out or the free-body falls out and I lose the bloody pals "spelling" (those ratchet thingys in the freebody)

Edited by Dick

No worries I have them all now, just looking to see what is better. Can't find anything, Oh wait, with through axles; now if I take the wheels off to transport the bike in the car i have to watch out or the free-body falls out and I lose the bloody pals "spelling" (those ratchet thingys in the freebody)

Ha Ha just pedal dam it!

I agree, there's a lot of hocus out there, brewed up by the marketing men.

Above, they play the "technological marvel" card. Other ploys that they use are the "it'll make you faster / happier / thinner / prettier" cards. All are designed to "make you poorer".

But hey, if you have the dough and you want to believe, blow it on a techno-magical ride. Myself, I'm a cautiously optimistic sceptic.

I agree, there's a lot of hocus out there, brewed up by the marketing men.

Above, they play the "technological marvel" card. Other ploys that they use are the "it'll make you faster / happier / thinner / prettier" cards. All are designed to "make you poorer".

But hey, if you have the dough and you want to believe, blow it on a techno-magical ride. Myself, I'm a cautiously optimistic sceptic.

Glass half full, but with a mirror next to it?

You've misread your articles China.

And it is spelt ridgid.

Like frigid, but with a d.

Ribbed and ridged would be similar. Sometimes the use of same can lead to a frigid reaction.

So all answers are ......NO.

Re-read, then re-ask.

What are you on about ?!

EDIT: What are you on?

Edited by The Drongo

You've misread your articles China.

And it is spelt ridgid.

Like frigid, but with a d.

Ribbed and ridged would be similar. Sometimes the use of same can lead to a frigid reaction.

So all answers are ......NO.

Re-read, then re-ask.

It's actually spelt rigid.. Not frigid with a d but without the f.

It's actually spelt rigid.. Not frigid with a d but without the f.

That all depends on which tools you use fella. ;-)