Camelpack or not for sani2c

T-man

Should I use my camelpack for sani2c???

Will it be wise since the water points are well stocked with goodies... Can carry 2 bottles on my bike.

Depending on the waterpoints/refreshment stations, I rather have more than less, extra water comes in handy to clean wound after a fall... just a thought.

And bit more space for backup tube and supplies....

Enjoy your race

Edited by Andro

Should I use my camelpack for sani2c???

Assuming you're not going to be spending hours between waterstops, a bottle or two will be fine ...... BUT ...... I prefer a camelback for 2 reasons,

1. its easier *(and possibly safer) to drink while on the move, especially if you have other riders around you and want to keep hands on the bars as much as possible, and

2. I keep spares, etc in the camelback and easy to reach snacks in my shirt pocket.

Downsides of a camelback:

1. it's hard to know exactly how much you've drunk

2. they take longer to refill than a water bottle - only really an issue for racing snakes.

use the 'bak, bro. It not only keeps your drink sooo much colder, but it's so much better to store your kit in. Not nice when your phone gets bike-sweat on it on a long ride...

Only really going to need it on day 2. Mind you, if humidity is high the extra juice may come in handy

From last year's race:

Stage 1 time 4h39

Ave time between water points 90 minutes

Min Temp 11

Max Temp 31

Ave Temp 17

Stage 2 time 7h10

Ave time between water points 100 minutes

Min Temp 10

Max Temp 28

Ave Temp 21

Stage 3 time 3h58

Ave time between water points 80 minutes

Min Temp 10

Max Temp 25

Ave Temp 18

This year my times should be 10 to 15% quicker so I will not be using a Camelback unless there is a chance of heavy rain or extreme heat (both unlikely). I consume about 600ml every hour, so should be fine on 2 bottles. Last year we were middle of the pack finishers (around 300th) on the Adventure. Ask yourself how long you ride on 2 bottles and whether you have enough margin to get to the water points on 2 bottles. I usually only drink again 20 minutes after stopping at a water point so my margin is quite big.

Just make sure that you have decent bottle cages. I lost a bottle on a race a few years ago and learnt the hard way.