Garmin software for Mac

Ok, instead of hi-jacking the other thread I thought I should start this one.

I have heard bad things about Garmin training center and good things about Sporttracks; these comments come from people using Windows. I have heard that the Mac version is far better, and I like it, but He-man for example said it was cr@p on any OS.

So does anybody know if there is better Mac software than GTC, or that can confirm that the Mac version is that much better than the Windows version?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would the Mac version of GTC be any different than the Windows version ?

It's crap on both !!

Golden Cheetah is predominantly for use with Power Taps.

Golden Cheetah is predominantly for use with Power Taps.

Aren't you confusing GC with Power Agent (the Cycle-Ops software)?

Why do you say that, please elaborate?

I do not have a Mac, but somehow cannot imagine that Garmin will develop vastly different versions of the same software for different OS's. The Windows flavour is such junk, that it will have to vastly different to be any better!

Some issues:

• Graphs cannot scale.
  • You cannot select sections of the workout to get specific statistics to that
  • Software is generally just not very informative, considering the wealth of info available to it

Thanks.

When you say specific sections, do you mean a single point, or between two points?

Between two points. If I want to analyse a specific climb, for example, I can't do it unless I pressed the lap button during the ride, at the start and finish of the climb.

Thanks.

When you say specific sections, do you mean a single point, or between two points?

Between two points. If I want to analyse a specific climb, for example, I can't do it unless I pressed the lap button during the ride, at the start and finish of the climb.

If you cannot run SportTracks(reason enough for Windows, or a virtual PC running it), try strava.com as it does pretty much the same with its segmens

Windows? Never!

The thing is that I'm looking for something I can use off-line ; not sure why though since we're online pretty much all the time anyway.

Windows? Never!

The thing is that I'm looking for something I can use off-line ; not sure why though since we're online pretty much all the time anyway.

Your sense of fashion(Apple Mac) is conflicting with your practical requirements(GPS based training analysis). Something must give :) I suggest a different Window to the view of an Apple.

Hopefully you'll get software that'll work for you!

Your sense of fashion(Apple Mac) is conflicting with your practical requirements(GPS based training analysis).

Nooit, I'm an IT professional and I have had MS products in chunks, and I just refuse to do that to myself just for one app. I'd rather buy a separate laptop for that :)

But thanks for your info, I'm going to give them all a good look.

Nooit, I'm an IT professional and I have had MS products in chunks, and I just refuse to do that to myself just for one app. I'd rather buy a separate laptop for that :)

But thanks for your info, I'm going to give them all a good look.

Me too... I moved to X/KUbuntu for idealistic reasons, but practicalities moved me back to Windows.