Extreme Lights & Pyro Lights - Groupon Deal?

Caerus

And now the excess are available on the hub at a further discounted price (just to twist the knife a little more for those that stuck with the Groupon deal!).

Haha yes I noticed that yesterday... from what I have heard the refunding hurt Groupon the most!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Edge_Design. just a few questions. if 6000K was so good and the high amount of Blue was better, then why are OEM manufacturers of motor cars limited to 4300K? only after market lights are higher. Why are all highway lights yellow? Why not the white blue of the side streets? That white is cheaper to install. why bother?

Here is the facts. The blue sensitive cones are not in the middle of macula/Retina which makes focusing on a bluish object difficult. Biology 101.

You may know this but let me make it clear for those that does not know it. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS WHITE LED!!!! THEY DON"T EXIST. All LED that appear white are blue LED with a phosphorus coating . the thinner the coating the more of the original light(Royle Blue) you have the more blue get trough.

The human eye has 3 cone just using one and over stimulating it is not conducive to good visibility.

Pyrolights stock is reserved for replacement only hance why we can't sell. We do have one or two extra but I would rather play it safe.

I did say it was a personal opinion - everyone can decide for themself what they prefer...

If I'm not mistake the Kelvin (hope that's spelt correctly, wouldn't want you to have to correct me) scale does have a white range (roughly 4000 - 6000K) and above that it moves into the blue colours.

I would think the law is in place for the benefit of oncoming traffic, but I might be wrong? Maybe you could clarify why that law exists as it would impact the point of your argument as you seem to be defending it based on it being a better colour due to the law restricting manufacturers to it...

I hope you don't mind me having the opinion, but I still prefer the white light (which I have admitted does have some weaker areas). I'd be interested to get some more independent feedback from people that have used both as to whether they could even tell the difference and, if they could, whether it made any difference at all to their ability to cycle at night?

I did say it was a personal opinion - everyone can decide for themself what they prefer...

If I'm not mistake the Kelvin (hope that's spelt correctly, wouldn't want you to have to correct me) scale does have a white range (roughly 4000 - 6000K) and above that it moves into the blue colours.

I would think the law is in place for the benefit of oncoming traffic, but I might be wrong? Maybe you could clarify why that law exists as it would impact the point of your argument as you seem to be defending it based on it being a better colour due to the law restricting manufacturers to it...

I hope you don't mind me having the opinion, but I still prefer the white light (which I have admitted does have some weaker areas). I'd be interested to get some more independent feedback from people that have used both as to whether they could even tell the difference and, if they could, whether it made any difference at all to their ability to cycle at night?

I agree wholeheartedly, i cannot see much of a much ness between my vehicle and this light (MJ-880), however i will post some pics tonight

opinion are good and it will be impossible not to notice the difference. at-least in appearance. Performance will depend on the person preference i believe. I did a test a last year with 20 people where I had a 4000K LED and a 5000K LED and asked them which they prefer. at the end 17 was in favor of the 4000K, 2 could not say, ant 1 was happy with the 5000K. When i did the test no one new what my plan was regarding this.

From a science point of it is hard to say where the sweet spot is. It it is clearly between 3500-5500K If i could get a LED at 4300K i would have selected it based on the fact that BMW, mercedes-benz and AUDI all use xenos that are 4300K

It is a long know use of yellow lights for fog lights due to the wavelengths that are longer. But I would like say that Pyroloights aren't yellow. There a lot more white than normal car headlights.

if you need someone else option that is an expert in the flied read this page http://www.visualexpert.com/Resources/nightvision.html

when reading that it is good to keep in mind that with lights like these (MJ808 or better) you are no longer in the scotopic mode of the eye.

At the end I don't ask a extra for having these light with 4000K emitters. so it comes down to preference of the person buying.

I agree wholeheartedly, i cannot see much of a much ness between my vehicle and this light (MJ-880), however i will post some pics tonight

Remember to put your camera on manual and the white balancing must be on Day light. One of my first mistakes I made was not having auto white balancing.

I have used 4000K lights and 6000K lights.

The 4000K lights give a better depth perception on technical routes in my opinion, and now all my lights(DIY) are 4000-5000K. My eyesight is not the best so that might be the reason why I prefer a warmer white for technical routes.

The cool white (6000K+) lights have a higher lumen output than an equivalent (same series LED) 4000K light, and that is the reason why many manufacturers of lights use 6000K, as they are lumen chasers, but there is a lot more to lighting than lumens only.

Personal preference at the end of the day. Use what works for you.

Edited by 4M41_Jero

The 4000K lights give a better depth perception on technical routes in my opinion, and now all my lights(DIY) are 4000-5000K. My eyesight is not the best so that might be the reason why I prefer a warmer white for technical routes.

The cool white (6000K+) lights have a higher lumen output than an equivalent (same series LED) 4000K light, and that is the reason why many manufacturers of lights use 6000K, as they are lumen chasers, but there is a lot more to lighting than lumens only.

Thank 4M41_Jero. That is why i don't ask more. I believe it is better and if i look at the science it make sens. but light is a very tricky thing and so far everyone that bought one love it. at the end it is what works for you.

Sounds like it comes down to personal preference... everyone is different :whistling:

Well there are some fact that you need to know about LED's. For example when a manufacture order an LED from Cree they need to give an order code. There are many different order codes and the more rare the LEDs the higher the price. For example if you want a Cree XML LED and you want any LED that can classify as a T6 then they will give a this order XMLAWT-00-0000-0000T6051 cree data sheat according to the datesheet that code will give you a T6 LED with a colour temperature anywhere between 5000K and 8300K. if you are lucky you can have a 5500K LED. It depends on the draw for you. If they like they can buy one with a specified BIN and colour temperature but that will add cost. On samples it does not matter much but on MOQ of 10000+ a higher price builds up and need to be justified

Regarding colour temperature and how an LED works. I have said it before but let say it again. All white LED are blue with a wave length of 440nm. You can see that peek clearly on Cree data sheet page 3. But for reading convenience will add the figure on my site that superimposed the human eye response curve

http://media.someammo.com/582408f9b9e9/relitave-radiant-power_930W.png

Now what the phosphorus layer does on the LED is it captures the blue 440nm light and gets very excited... then it radiate the energy out in a lower spectrum. 5 year go there where major improvement in how the LED generates blue light. But the last few years all the exciting development has gone in to the conversion process. It is now at the point that the actually difference in efficacy is only about 14-7% less than High K LEDs. that sounds a lot but it is not at all. For you to actually notice the drop you require the light to drop about half. With the huge amount of light generated by light units today the gain in colour contrast out ways the small drop in light. But that is my experience.

Edited by Hannes Zietsman

Just for interest here is a photo of some LEDs that i got after upgrading a few Magicshine unit with Cree MT-G LED

on the Left is a Pyro 4000K LED on the right are two LED that I got from lights. Middle I think is about 4500-5500K and the right is 6000k+ could be 7000K but I don't really know. wish my camera had a CCT tool.

This is amazing!! I do hope they get not just the LCD working but a pure white LED as promise . current 6000K+ LED have a CRI(color rendering index) of 65 and warmer white as used by pyro has a CRI of 80+. With this we sold see a CRI of near 100.

“Nanosys synthesizes quantum dot phosphor material which is subsequently packaged in a form called a Quantum Rail. For LED backlit displays, our Quantum Rail is inserted between an illuminating strip of blue LEDs and the input edge of the display's lightguide panel. Current LED backlights use conventional white LEDs (which are BLUE LEDs with YAG phosphor) that cannot produce saturated GREEN or RED colors. In contrast Nanosys' Quantum Rail produces a pure white light by using a BLUE LED with Green and Red Quantum Dot phosphors, which results in a tuned white light source that enables over 100 percent NTSC color gamut using the same high volume LCD display manufacturing flow that exists today.”

http://spectrum.ieee...gle+Feedfetcher

So we advance.

Just to give an update/ conclusion for myself with regards to this whole saga.

Hannes has come good in making sure I am a happy customer. He has given me a great discount on a Pyro Light, which I should take delivery of next week. In saying this he has certainly come to the table in trying to rectify the whole issue/ situation with the Groupon deal. Since having spoken to him on the phone and via emails, I would now have no hesitation in recommending him for any future purchases you may have.

We all makes mistakes and I can now see it was a small error from myself for not reading enough into the deal, as well as the errors from Groupon and Pyro Lights. The fact that he has made good with a disgruntled customer says a lot to me about the type of person and business he is running.

I will give a review of the light once I have had a test ride and also take some pics regarding the difference in the lights.

OK, here we go, now as mentioned these pics are taken with a basic iPhone so nothing special,

NOTHING has been done to the pics except for a re size to have them uploaded.

Fist pic is to illustrate just how dark the point of reference within my garden actually is.

Second pic is same location, with MJ-880 on

post-31061-0-26770800-1339142537.jpg

post-31061-0-89458800-1339142545.jpg

OK, here we go, now as mentioned these pics are taken with a basic iPhone so nothing special,

NOTHING has been done to the pics except for a re size to have them uploaded.

Fist pic is to illustrate just how dark the point of reference within my garden actually is.

Second pic is same location, with MJ-880 on

Is this the 6000k? Will you run this on your handlebars or helmet? Edited by Caerus