Conti X-King 29" Protection 'Tubeless Ready'

IronTree

I put a X-King on the front and a Race King on the back after being told by my LBS that they were "UST" tyres - after they kept going flat I did a little research to find that they're "tubeless ready". After enough Stans to plug the Titanic they seem to have sealed up, but I'm not liking the performance too much. The front washes very easily on the loose stuff even at the lowest possible pressure.

Doing the Tour de Tuli later this year and will probably bin them for a set of Maxxis Ikons.

Its a standard thing with Conti, they put a wax gell on the inside of the tyre to protect the compound in storage, all you do is take a hard brush, scrub the inside for about 5 mins with a soapy solution to get rid of the waxy solution, then add your one cup stans, seal the tyre and give it a spin to seal any tiny pinholes that might be in the sidewall and your good to go.

Dangle says the 'Ikons' are the best tyre he has ever ridden and I trust him in these matters!

I quite like the ikon's but not in wet conditions, packs mud too easily. but besides that its a great tyre.

Edited by covie

Don't know about X-kings but I have tossed my race king 29r's in the bin (and they had loads of tread) - Now have Captains on my one bike and Maxxis Ikon's on the other. Way better so far!

Dangle says the 'Ikons' are the best tyre he has ever ridden and I trust him in these matters!

Ikons Exo Protection for the win!

Ikons are seriously amazing, especially in these dry loose sand conditions.

Riding Ikons front and back and can't complain.

• 3 months later...

Ikons Exo Protection for the win!

So the rolling resistance and grip on the Ikons are good, but how good is the puncture/sidewall protection? Especially for heavier riders? And in the rocky western cape conditions...

Just dont ride them in the Cape or the Karoo, already got 2 sidewall tears. Never buying Ikons again, unless i decide i want to just ride jeeptrack,,,, oh wait no the last ikon got cut on the jeeptrack section of jonkers..................

Screw that sticking to X-kings.

Just dont ride them in the Cape or the Karoo, already got 2 sidewall tears. Never buying Ikons again, unless i decide i want to just ride jeeptrack,,,, oh wait no the last ikon got cut on the jeeptrack section of jonkers..................

Thanks, good to know. With that 580g weight I was worried.

So the X-Kings are working for you? They aren't that much heavier...

Ikon or Ikon Exo? Been using an Ikon Exo for a year now and has been rock solid in the Cape Mountains.

Ikon or Ikon Exo? Been using an Ikon Exo for a year now and has been rock solid in the Cape Mountains.

Ikon exo 3c's and yeah been running the x-king now for about 800km with no issues, and its the protection and not the full UST version so im impressed with the durability.

How heavy are you?

How heavy are you?

86kg not a featherweight and not a superweight. the sidewalls on the maxxis is just as useless as the schwalbe evo's. The conti protections, and schwalbe snakeskins last much much longer.

86kg not a featherweight and not a superweight. the sidewalls on the maxxis is just as useless as the schwalbe evo's. The conti protections, and schwalbe snakeskins last much much longer.

Thanks for the info, I'll think I'll then probably go for the Conti Protection tyres.

How's the tread holding up?

Thanks for the info, I'll think I'll then probably go for the Conti Protection tyres.

How's the tread holding up?

Ive seen people complain about wear but i cant say i have the same experience.And i do quite a bit of tar work with them as well. Mine still looks brand new.