Where to swim, open water, in Johannesburg this Winter 2012

Seeker911

Quick question. Is it ok to just pitch and swim at Emmerentia ? is there a dedicated swim area and rules which need to be adhered to ?

There are certain times.

Time slots for swimmers, canoes, kayaks, sailing. If you swim while the canoes are going, make sure you wear a really bright cap. The canoes also stay outside the buoys, so it avoids collisions if you swim just inside them. 1000m per lap, if memory serves.

Contact the canoe people. http://www.dabulamanzi.co.za/ They're pretty helpful.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have swum emmerentia a few times, havent got sick once. Neither have any of the other guys I train with.

All you need to do is phone Dabs for their latest water quality readings.

In winter in Emmerentia is a bit chilly, but then again, if you doing tri's and eventually ironman, you need to grab a wetsuit and harden the f* up - swim in the afternoon

Base 3 is also really nice to swim in, be careful of leeches in the reeds area, but not serious.

If only they could get that damn hippo out of Heia...and drop their prices to enter

I removed a couple of leeches from my legs in emmerentia last year after hitting a speed wobble in a k1 :blush:

I have an 80m long dam, water you can drink, comes straight out of the mountain one farm up, and a 7km long XS track on my farm which is in the Boons area half way between Magaliesberg and Rustenburg. I've been thinking to open it up for Xterra training, it's perfect for running too. The XS track has a 1.8km climb rising 250m, has 5 bridges and is kept in perfect condition, I ride every morning before work. A very safe area, we also have 100's of km's of gravel roads around, nothing flat. Anyone interested? Dam also full of bass.

not after I swam in it :ph34r: :blush: :whistling:

Here is my suggestion for a sign at your dam:

"I don't swim in your toilet, so dont pee in my dam"

I posted this on the other thread discussing Emmerentia as well. We might want the 2 threads combined.

I sent the Dabs canoe club an email yesterday asking if it was ok to swim at Emmerentia and what if any rules there were. The answer was as follows "Hi Hans - no restrictions from our side. Please just stay out of the path of any / all craft training on the water. Good luck. Bill".

Would still be nice to know what if any etiquette there is to follow i.e. swimming in the opposite direction to canoeists and on which side of the buoys do you swim etc etc

So having said that I think I will go down to the canoe club this Saturday and have a swim session. Anyone else interested ? say for about 9am.

I have an 80m long dam, water you can drink, comes straight out of the mountain one farm up, and a 7km long XS track on my farm which is in the Boons area half way between Magaliesberg and Rustenburg. I've been thinking to open it up for Xterra training, it's perfect for running too. The XS track has a 1.8km climb rising 250m, has 5 bridges and is kept in perfect condition, I ride every morning before work. A very safe area, we also have 100's of km's of gravel roads around, nothing flat. Anyone interested? Dam also full of bass.

Yes please, throw in a campsite and a pub nearby and we'll become good friends

I am also training for 5150, my first olympic distance race. I desperately need to get some open water swims in before the race.

I gave the guys at Base 3 a call today. They are open Monday - Sunday, we are able to swim throughout the week. They have not started with the other skiing activities as yet because it is still too cold!

R21 per person

Wear a wetsuit!! He kept emphasising how cold the water is. . .

Thanks for the info, if i dont get up to buffelspoort this weekend then I will get a session or two in at base3 before the 5150

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I swam there this weekend....and I am still alive and kicking!

Yip ! with 3 arms and 5 legs clap.gif just joking. the water is good.

I'm doing Joburg Tri tomorrow at Germies that should prove interesting especially as we just had rain recently ... eek.gif