Commute from Sunset Beach to Plumstead

Coenie

As we are relatively new to Cape Town I need some advice to the best route to take when commuting to my companies new offices in Plumstead from the Table View area. According to Google Maps the shortest is to go up Main Road for most of the way, but I have heard that this can be a nightmare.

Does anyone have some suggestions as to what route will be the best for me to ride, and first prize will be for me if I could join someone one morning for a ride, as I am not that familiar with all the roads in Cape Town yet.

Coenie, there are plenty of options but your tricky part is the Koeberg flyover. Best to cross it and into Maitland onto Voortrekker Rd through to Salt River circle. Left onto Black River Parkway that becomes Liesbeek Parkway and then onto Campground turning right over the railway line after Palmyra Junction towards Main Road. Stay on this til you need to get off. It gets busy around Maynard Mall, but it is the most direct route. I go the opposite direction now. I used to ride that route when I lived in West Beach.

Thanks Tubehunter. That was one of my options, but was not sure of whether that route will be good for cycling. How is the traffic on those roads at the normal commuting times?

Yo Tube ...

Do you recon the OP could go along the cycle lane, up the ramp to Church Street and then along Main RD to the circle and then via Black Riverparkway / Main road to Plumbstead.

I need to drop a set of building plans off at Council in Plumbstead next week from the looks of things and I will be damned if I drive there again vs cycling.

So OP, if I cycle there I will let you know and if you can't join I will try for a Endomondo map and forward this to you.

H

Would suggest Hairy's route.

Or take the M5 simply all the way to Plumstead?

You might well not arrive at your destination if you take the M5

Yo Tube ...

Do you recon the OP could go along the cycle lane, up the ramp to Church Street and then along Main RD to the circle and then via Black Riverparkway / Main road to Plumbstead.

I need to drop a set of building plans off at Council in Plumbstead next week from the looks of things and I will be damned if I drive there again vs cycling.

So OP, if I cycle there I will let you know and if you can't join I will try for a Endomondo map and forward this to you.

H

Hairy. That sounds like a great plan. Only planning on starting the commute by bike next week. I would like to get away from here at around 7am or thereabouts.

Sure I will be able to join you, as I am pretty flexible as per office hours, and I want to get on the bike ASAP. I do not get enough time otherwise to ride, and it is frustrating me like crazy.

Yo Tube ...

H

His choice to go on the lane all the way to church street. Personally I still don't fancy doing the lane from Paarden Eiland through to under the N1. Feel too isolated along that stretch when I cycle on my own. Not enough eyes to prevent the groups of pedestrians on this section from possibly having a go at me if they think I'm a soft enough target. More so out of busy times! (I know the cops have cleaned up in the underpass at the N1. Anyone know when the last attempted mugging was there? This was a hotspot at one time.)

I would take the cycle lane from Tableview through to Steven Johnson Cars, then take the service road until you get to the shell garage and take a left back towards Koeberg Road. Follow the route I mentioned before from there. You are mostly going against traffic and the shoulder is more than adequate for you to feel safe on the road. The only piece it's worth hitting the hammer on is at the Black River Parkway bridge just after you pass the Albany Bakery. The road narrows as it sweeps to the right around the Black River Office Park area and there can be a couple of buses going in convoy trying to get back for their next morning load. (It's like that both ways, so you'll do the same from the traffic light heading towards it when you're going home as well.)

Stay off the M5! This is taking a bigger risk than the direct route is worth.

Cycling from Tableview to town in peak traffic is faster than driving by car! Way faster! There's plenty of us commuters out on the road! Welcome to CT and see you out there!

Edited by Tubehunter

Hairy. That sounds like a great plan. Only planning on starting the commute by bike next week. I would like to get away from here at around 7am or thereabouts.

Sure I will be able to join you, as I am pretty flexible as per office hours, and I want to get on the bike ASAP. I do not get enough time otherwise to ride, and it is frustrating me like crazy.

Time sounds good for me, we can chat in the new week then.

They should build a cycle lane on the M5. I have personally never needed to go on the M5 as I have a car for when I need to get from Claremont to Canal Walk but have no idea how I would cycle there.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/Tubehunter/IMG-20111103-00471.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/Tubehunter/IMG-20111013-00354.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/Tubehunter/IMG-20111013-00359.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i25/Tubehunter/IMG-20111013-00374.jpg