Got me some new knee protection

wesley_r

Have they added a hard cup to this model?

That was always the one thing that concerned me about the Kyle Straits.

Great looking pads. Highly rated... But with it being so rocky here in Gauteng, I'd feel a lot safer with a hard cup amongst that foam

Edited by patches

Great looking pads. Highly rated... But with it being so rocky here in Gauteng, I'd feel a lot safer with a hard cup amongst that foam

Just buy some game special knee pads (those *** ones) and bastardize the hard shell from them... Can insert them into the pads through the opening in the back...

Guest Omega Man

Ja they've got a hard shell. Best kneepads I've ever owned.

Just buy some game special knee pads (those *** ones) and bastardize the hard shell from them... Can insert them into the pads through the opening in the back...

Haha, or just use these like i do (got them for 200 ZARs from buycycle

http://img.tapatalk.com/2984d3ec-b3ba-8269.jpg

Ja they've got a hard shell. Best kneepads I've ever owned.

Aah, good to know. When my TLDs die i may look into the 661s. Or possibly the bluegrass that have that magic-goo in them that hardens on impact

post-10758-13441891393841.jpg

Edited by patches

Yeah, my do the same. My kyle straits are on their way out in a bit. Getting tatty and holey, hanks to senor doggy & washing machine.

Will get some other pads later...

damn these 661's are comfy. haven't ridden in them yet, just wore them around the house - very good looking and well made, and comfy :)

Some pics. 661 refer to the protector as a "hard cap protector". It's not rigid plastic like an old school skate pad - it's that hard-yet-flexible CE approved rubbery stuff you find in many pads, wrapped in a stretch kevlar outer. The rest of the pads are perforated, and the bits at the back are softer than the Kyle Straits (apparently) - nice soft neoprene sections where the strap goes over and where the most movement will be. Construction looks solid, attention to detail is great. Hopefully I'll get a ride in this weekend to test them proper.

Some pics...

post-12904-0-59682400-1344611141.jpg

post-12904-0-47261600-1344611144.jpg

post-12904-0-52687400-1344611147.jpg

post-12904-0-57605800-1344611151.jpg

post-12904-0-63385900-1344611155.jpg

post-12904-0-18903700-1344611160.jpg

modelling them, they are pretty low profile and a different design from my lizard skins, which had a tendency to snag my shorts at the top... lizard skins on my left leg for comparison in the last shot

post-12904-0-70006300-1344611252.jpg

post-12904-0-38048700-1344611255.jpg

post-12904-0-90971100-1344611257.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Can seriously vouch for the TLD T-Bones after our little alps trip.

Used them every day. Comfy enough for a full day of riding (9am - 6pm)...

And on my last day of riding (day 10/13) i tested them in full. Came off at approx 40-45kph from 3m up.

Did a massive dirt tumble. Impact broke the end off my collarbone (hence it being my last day of riding), in fact i kissed earth so hard that my little all alu iPod shuffle ripped in 2 pieces...

But my knee guards stayed put and i only ended up with some above the knee bruising (where the pads don't cover)

Edited by patches

And on my last day of riding (day 10/13) i tested them in full. Came off at approx 40-45kph from 3m up.

Did a massive dirt tumble. Impact broke the end off my collarbone (hence it being my last day of riding), in fact i kissed earth so hard that my little all alu iPod shuffle ripped in 2 pieces...

But my knee guards stayed put and i only ended up with some above the knee bruising (where the pads don't cover)

Patches, you're a tjop. I mean really... Not as much of a tjop as Peach, but still. AND you took your white rims, so you can't even claim to be poor.

Was gutted on your behalf, bro. Any leads on the bikes that were stolen?

Did you have any bike damage?