Silverback Storm 1.0 vs Storm 2.0? Advise

Mylolylo

I see the Storm 2 has been dropped from the 2013 lineup. The 1 is now just Storm and there is a higher spec'd model now called Storm Race. Seems silly.

I've got the Storm 1.0 and I am truly happy with it! Had it now for about 2 months which translates to about 2000km.

This post might not be very informative but just stating that I'm a happy customer. :)

I also got one will and next week from CT , does it haev a thru front axle? I am like a child getting a new toy

I also got one will and next week from CT , does it haev a thru front axle? I am like a child getting a new toy

It does yes, with a QR on the rear axle. Hope you enjoy it like I do mine.

BergBok would not say this is a great bike if no thru-axle. I will not buy a 29er without a thru-axle.

As for the 2013 line-up, the XT Storm now has 3x10 like the 2012 Storm2, but XT i.p.o. SLX.

@ Berg Bok: Yep good move on the 1 but I think it was a bad idea to drop the more affordable 2. Also, will the Race model really sell? Silverback is still not seen as a premium brand and most people willing to pay for SRam XX will be spending their money on trendier brands. Not saying it makes sense, just saying how it is. I could be proven wrong if the price of the Race is fantastic...

@ Berg Bok: Yep good move on the 1 but I think it was a bad idea to drop the more affordable 2. Also, will the Race model really sell? Silverback is still not seen as a premium brand and most people willing to pay for SRam XX will be spending their money on trendier brands. Not saying it makes sense, just saying how it is. I could be proven wrong if the price of the Race is fantastic...

I got the 1 for only R1000 more than the 2 because there was stock on the floor and the prices went up, and also I like the XT.

What is a premium brand? Oh you mean brands where you pay 20-25% more for the label? Because that is what you will do if you buy a premium brand instead of the Storm. Silverback is now German engineered and those Germans sometimes build good stuff. So really I do not care about the label, in fact it makes it more fun leaving the premium brands in the Silverback`s dust.

LOL! I agree and own a Storm 1 too! Just saying there are a lot of buyers, especially the ones with pockets deep enough for XX, who look down their nose at Silverback. The best thing about the Storms was that not only were they good they were also really affordable. Not sure the Storm Race will be within reach for most. But lets see. Maybe the rrp will blow us away...

I looked long and hard and best value I could find was the Storm .full xt , carbon , thru axle , and under 11kg IT TICKED ALL THESE BOXES

No other bike could in this range o and crest wheels whohaaaaaaaa

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

So been loving my Storm 1 lately! I just have a question that myabe someone can answer for me. I havent had my bike set up professionally yet, i know the basics of leg lengths etc so just set it up to what felt comfortable. on the shorter rides I feel great but on rides over 2hours I find my arms begin to ache and i feel that I am sitting a bit too close to the handlebars. I rode 3hours on Sunday and on Monday my shoulders were so stiff and sore! Is this from the wrong stem length, saddle being too far forward, or both? I noticed that the stem on my Storm is pretty short compared to my old bike.

Thanks

Lyle

So been loving my Storm 1 lately! I just have a question that myabe someone can answer for me. I havent had my bike set up professionally yet, i know the basics of leg lengths etc so just set it up to what felt comfortable. on the shorter rides I feel great but on rides over 2hours I find my arms begin to ache and i feel that I am sitting a bit too close to the handlebars. I rode 3hours on Sunday and on Monday my shoulders were so stiff and sore! Is this from the wrong stem length, saddle being too far forward, or both? I noticed that the stem on my Storm is pretty short compared to my old bike.

Professional setup is obviously best. Try to take the bike to someone reputable. It is so worth it.

If you really are "too close to handlebars", try a longer stem or set-back seatpost. The Storm 1 comes with a zero offset seatpost.

Thanks Delilah, I think I will try a ride with maybe moving the seat back a bit and make an appointment for a setup soon and see what they say. I've heard that Trail and Tar in Tokai has a good setup person.

Loving my bike my av speed went from 21/22 kmh to 25/26 the bike is light very responsive and solid . had to tweak the fork a little and takign it for its first race this weekend and Van Gaalens will see what it does. :clap: