skewer bending dropout

M L

I have a 9R gt zaskar frame (alu), and when I close the rear skewer it puts bends the dropout inward. So much that it flexes the RD inward about 10-18mm's. Tested my dad's giant and his doesn't move a bit.

This flexing is causing my shifting to be out...Any ideas on a way to get past/fix this? I have thought of bending the dropout outward so that when the skewer closes it sits at normal, but this should be a viable solution.

Do I get in contact with GT? Anyone with the 9R frame having same issues?

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2010/07/31/1280614277716-1kppk73uc6nrr-670-75.jpg

(Not my bike, just a pic for illustration purposes)

This is a pretty common problem and one that is easily fixed with the right tool - but only the right tool.

Your jockey hanger is bent. The bike was dropped on its right side and the hanger is bent inwards.

Find someone with a derailer hanger straighter and have it done professionally. You could attempt to simply fit a new hanger - they're removable and sacrificial, but the underlying frame structure may also need attention. No use fitting a nice flat new hanger onto a bent frame section. It is always a good idea to carry a spare hanger with you. Hardcore okes wear their spare like a piece of obscure jewellery around their necks on a leather thong.

..........Hardcore okes wear their spare like a piece of obscure jewellery around their necks on a leather thong.

My spare hanger is coming out of the Camelbak as we speak and onto a leather thong before tomorrow mornings ride! :D (Rain and storms predicted, so I must be hardcore.)

This is a pretty common problem and one that is easily fixed with the right tool - but only the right tool.

Your jockey hanger is bent. The bike was dropped on its right side and the hanger is bent inwards.

Find someone with a derailer hanger straighter and have it done professionally. You could attempt to simply fit a new hanger - they're removable and sacrificial, but the underlying frame structure may also need attention. No use fitting a nice flat new hanger onto a bent frame section. It is always a good idea to carry a spare hanger with you. Hardcore okes wear their spare like a piece of obscure jewellery around their necks on a leather thong.

Johan, i have bent my previous hanger earlier this year in a race, but this one is new...but maybe that is exactly the problem then, it was a flat hanger fitted onto a bent frame section.

Will give my repair guy a visit. Thanks for the info (expect for the thong part :P).