Lights for the dark mornings

lizaanleroux

Hallo all.

I am looking at buying a light (for those dark winter mornings coming up). I am mostly doing tar road riding (sometimes a bit of plaaspad as well) Currently looking at the marvel pro 900 lumen. Opinion on the light will be much appreciated.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

There are a few threads regarding lights so have a search on the forum. But in my opinion.....

You need a total of 4 lights. Not negotiable.

1. Front bike mounted light 1000 Lumens or more...

2. Front helmet light 300 Lumens. Follows your eyes.

3. Rear seatpost flushing light. Bontrager make awesome ones.

4. Rear jersey mounted flashing light.

The extra lights do act as a redundancy and trust me there will be a time a light or battery lets you down. But when all are working it’s the best way to see and be seen!

I spent years riding in the dark. Still do. And this is my “go to” setup.

Hallo all.

I am looking at buying a light (for those dark winter mornings coming up). I am mostly doing tar road riding (sometimes a bit of plaaspad as well) Currently looking at the marvel pro 900 lumen. Opinion on the light will be much appreciated.

I would look at something from Extreme lights rather.

The marvel 900 is not bad, but the beam is quite narrow and not exactly the best light for dark winter mornings.

This would be a great light, I have 1 and works great.

https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/bicycle-lights/products/endurance-bicycle-light-phoenix-rear-bicycle-light-combo

Hallo all.

I use the Marvel Blast 2200 on my early morning commutes, I only use it on low beam as the cars get blinded by the high beam. I find it more than enough light.

https://www.cwcycles.co.za/product/marvel-blast-2200-lumen-light

I have used this and was pretty darn bright until it failed on me. Lasted for 2 years.

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/lights-and-batteries/395328/speed-master-night-light

I am now using this light and like that it has built in battery, Light lasts for approx 2 x 1.5hr rides. Start of on high and as it gets lighter go to low setting. Can replace the battery or have a spare battery on longer rides. easy to change.

https://www.rydercycling.co.za/ryder-products/lights/900-lumen-front-detail

Hi,

There are a few threads regarding lights so have a search on the forum. But in my opinion.....

You need a total of 4 lights. Not negotiable.

1. Front bike mounted light 1000 Lumens or more...

2. Front helmet light 300 Lumens. Follows your eyes.

3. Rear seatpost flushing light. Bontrager make awesome ones.

4. Rear jersey mounted flashing light.

The extra lights do act as a redundancy and trust me there will be a time a light or battery lets you down. But when all are working it’s the best way to see and be seen!

I spent years riding in the dark. Still do. And this is my “go to” setup.

Might need that amount of light when riding trails n the dark but def not on tar which is what the OP indicated to be doing mostly

Thanx all. Luckilly i live between "niks en nêrens" so the only morning trafic i get is the occasional steenbuck.

that changes the game a bit ...

In the city we need multiple lights, as previously posted.  My assortment on my commuter

- light that is pointed DOWN at the road in front of my bike, in order for me to see the road surface.

- another flashing light pointed forward ... for the sleepy drivers ...

- flashing red light to the side

- two flashing red lights to the back.

DO get lights that are USB rechargeble !!  Mine shows a green LED for the first few rides, then goes to flashing, and then quickly DIES ...  WORST feeling being out in the dark and your lights goes out ...  You quickly learn your routine, and how often the lights should be recharged.

something else to consider - the road surface.  The typical lights that strap on with a rubber band seems to be "front-heavy", so if I go off road the light steadily tils forwards until the light shines straight down.  Try to get lights that are "well balanced", that wont tilt so easily.  Some of the newer lights are small, well balanced and produce very good light ... but needs to be charged for each ride.

so many choices ....  :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

Lizaan, if you one of the higher spec Garmin bike computers (eg 1030) look at the Garmin integrated lights. They're not cheap but they're worth it. Otherwise there are lots of cheaper options. Ryder have some quite acceptable stuff at budget prices. Just don't expect spare parts (extra mounts etc). But their warranty is good.

Bontrager Ion Pro - bright, usb chargeable and no separate battery pack.

That on my list for this year 

https://www.takealot.com/magicshine-mj906-combo/PLID54551596

Honestly, after having multiple ryder / extremelights / marvel stuff, and aftger seeing this baby in action, my money would go here if I were going to buy new lights. Excellent spread, decent spot as well and a rear light that will be visible from miles away. 

It's become the standard recommendation for my riding group. 

The Marvel lights are nowhere near their max lumen rating, as they're all rated according to the maximum current that the LED's can handle, not what they're actually driven at. I have the Blaast 2200 and the other 1300 and they're not as bright as my Extremelights Solo, which is rated at I think 900 lumen. 

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

Hallo all.

I have one, the plastic slide thing broke but I fixed it with some stainless steel, good light all in all.

I would look at something from Extreme lights rather.

The marvel 900 is not bad, but the beam is quite narrow and not exactly the best light for dark winter mornings.

This would be a great light, I have 1 and works great.

https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/bicycle-lights/products/endurance-bicycle-light-phoenix-rear-bicycle-light-combo

With you on extreme lights, great quality and they have a good/great handlebar clamp with rubber inserts to fit various sizes handlebars. I've got a 2015 model, 900 Lumens (with only one led in front light) with a rear light combo which still works 100% after numerous morning and afternoon rides.

Charged it tonight again for an early morning mtb gravel ride tomorrow, weather permitting as they've forecasting rain for us.

With you on extreme lights, great quality and they have a good/great handlebar clamp with rubber inserts to fit various sizes handlebars. I've got a 2015 model, 900 Lumens (with only one led in front light) with a rear light combo which still works 100% after numerous morning and afternoon rides.

Charged it tonight again for an early morning mtb gravel ride tomorrow, weather permitting as they've forecasting rain for us.

I bought a Pyro 1000 Lumens and 2000 Lumens from Extreme Lights in Nov 2012 and they are still great.