Help comparing spec sets please - 1st "real" bike

diverdi

Hi Scotty.

I tried Linden - no stock but I didn't go as far afield as Kempton. I'll try them tomorrow thanks.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Silverback was the other range I had my eye on when I started this thread (I agree, good value) but from what I can see from their website the reach may still be an issue.

The top tube effective length of the Momsen small is 585 ( http://www.momsenbikes.com/bikes.cfm?prod=al129 ) ; the top tube of the Silverback is 561 ( http://www.silverbacklab.com/2011_website_SILVERBACK/web_gallery/alpine2.htm# ).

An improvement of just over 2 cm but still more than my reach of around 540. (Before a stem tube is even factored in).

• 2 weeks later...

Solomons in Pretoria(Lynwood branch) has 2 AL126 bikes in stock if you feel up for the drive. Bought a AL129 last week after shopping throughout the whole of GP.

Speak to Alone there. He's a great advisor. 012 3485454

Why Momsen? I sent an enquiry from their website and received a same day reply from Victor Momsen himself. Show me another brand owner/ manufacturer that does that for an unknown newbie? Rest assured that the support for this bike will be inimitable.

I'm in love with my bike, paid less than R6k and got a heck of a deal on the rest of my "start-up" kit. For less than R9k I have an awesome bike, clothing, Shimano MTB cleats and clipless pedals, a Thule boot-mount bike rack, upgraded silicone grips, helmet and bottles with cages.

The drive to Lynwood will be worth your while. :thumbup:

HI Billaridoo.

Thanks for the info.

I agree the response from Momsen to you is pretty great.

Unfortunately I bought a Merida last week second hand (which turned out to also not fit) so I have to first sell this before I can buy another bike (and if I don't get a buyer I will have to adapt the Merida).

But I really appreciate the info all the same and will keep it in mind for when/if I'm in the market for a new one again.