China crisis ...

kosmonooit

The tensions between China & Japan spilling over into sport:

Japanese "expelled" from Tour of China

"Safety a concern for Global Cycling Promotion ahead of Tour of Beijing

Japanese riders competing at the second Tour of China have been drawn into a diplomatic row over an uninhabited group of islands in the East China Sea, with the UCI expressing a concern first and foremost for competitor safety.

Sovereignty has provided a rallying point for the Chinese for at least the last 150 years.

The trigger for the tension between China and Japan has been the latest twist in a long-running tug-of-war over the Diaoyo Islands (as known to Chinese) or the Senkaku Islands (as known to Japanese). Already a disputed territory, the islands were nationalised by the Japanese over the weekend when some of the islands were bought by the government from their private Japanese owner. The timing of the sale has proved critical with commemorations taking place on Tuesday for the Manchurian Incident of 1931, when the Japanese invaded the north of China, known as Manchuria. The incident was a catalyst for the revolution of 1949 and the creation of The People's Republic of China by Mao Zedong.

For now, Japanese riders, staff, journalists and photographers have been asked to leave this week's Tour of China, while Chinese badminton players have been withdrawn from a tournament in Japan, according to reports.

"It is true that Japanese were expelled," UCI President Pat McQuaid confirmed to Reuters.

Most notably, Taiji Nishitani (Aisan Racing Team) had been sitting fourth in the UCI AsiaTour rankings and was a stage winner in the first Tour of China. Nishitani may have started the prologue on Sunday but by Stage 1, he had left the race and so did his chances of climbing the rankings.

Meantime, with the high-profile Tour of Beijing due to begin on October 9, Global Cycling Promotion which runs the event is monitoring the situation closely.

"What matters is everyone's safety and it is true that the situation can become worrying," GCP director Alain Rumpf told Reuters.

The Japanese Embassy has suspended passport services in China for the time being."

From Cyclenews

Want to know why the Chinese are so cheesed with the Japanese? Read "The Rape of Nanking" by Iris Chang for a bit of background.

Jay!! We haven't had a good Kung-Fu fight in many decades....maybe this one will make CNN???

popcorn ready...

Japan is key US ally and US has a lot of forces in Japan - there is tensions with China and a lot of other east Asian nations over the Spratley Islands, there is trade tensions between China and the US. Then there is North Korea situation. Pakistan is volatile and a Chinese ally Afghanistan is about to melt down.

The War ... will not be a bun fight.

Jay!! We haven't had a good Kung-Fu fight in many decades....maybe this one will make CNN???

popcorn ready...

It was on rotation on CNN this morning. Especially the bit with their journo being frogmarched to a "media area" during a protest in Beijing.

Hi gents,

I am no expert but I can bet my last 10mZim doller that global finance is the underlying factor. Money makes the world go round!!!!

Have a good day

Sarge

I am no expert but I can bet my last 10mZim doller that global finance is the underlying factor. Money makes the world go round!!!!

Well I am no expert either, but history shows Imperialism is the root of a lot of international problems. And Imperialism has a lot to do with monopolistic trade, access natural resources and markets, that boils down to some geeza's coining it > Money.

But the tension here go back a bit further and deeper. Japanese have always looked down on the Chinese and Koreans - it a kinda racist way. And if you read how brutally Japan colonised China recently, memories of that gives further fuel to the fire. Pay back time?

Glad CAAD4 picked up on my small joke :)

Edited by kosmonooit