Calling all Bike Mechanics - Campy to Shimano Freebody Conversion ???

Stuart Queripel

Please help... I purchased a set of Easton EA90 SL wheels off the hub. They came with a Campy Freebody.

I am currently running an 10 speed Ultegra set up.

What are my options here? Change the Campy Freebody to Shimano? Or do I just run a campy cassette on the Ultegra? Is that possible?

What are the conversion costs?

Please help...

Not much as from a suggestion or what is best, but my training training wheels are shimano wheels that I ran on my Campy groupo, and it works fine, had no slipping from the chain vs cluster, but it wasn't a perfect match. More to do with the shifting I think.

No idea on the price though, although I did see one go for around R600 a while ago. Think it was on a Mavic wheelset.

http://www.chainreac...x?ModelID=50422

This is what you're looking for... so say about R800 based on a quick calculation?

Edit:

Cassette Compatiblity:

• Shimano: Fits Shimano 10 speed cassettes only

• Campagnolo: All 9/10/11 Campagnolo

• Sram: Sram 8/9/10 and Shimano 8/9/10

You try fitting a Shimano cluster? The one in the link fits all of the above.

Edited by Bianchi

If you have a Campy cassette already, just use it as is. If your mechanic knows what he is doing, there should be no problem. If you do not have a Campy cassette, then just buy the freebody, it will be cheaper that a new Campy cassette.

Setting up a Campag cassette with Shimano and visa versa is a bitch. As mentioned above, the mechanic must know what he is doing.

I tried it myself, I got the shifting to work perfectly on the bike stand, the moment I rode it, it was terrible.

I would buy the proper free hub and get it done properly from the word go.