Road Bike Consideration

TwiggzSA

I'm hoping that the roadies can help me out here.

What are the important aspects to look out for in a road bike? Is the groupset important, sora vs tiagra vs 2300? I know fit is very important - especially when looking at entry level.

Also considerations with new or used in terms of technology advances from different models and years.

Looking to do a few seeding rides for the Argus as well as some longer training rides and want to start looking around for a bike.

Any advice?

A good frame is a crucial choice to make.

Then build from there.

Gruppos get lighter and somewhat more reliable as they increase in value.

Get the best possible frame, you can always upgrade the groupset etc

How would I know that I'm getting a good frame, are there brands to stick with that will be good value for money? Like a Silverback or Merida?

Budget?

Just dropped a small fortune - for me - on a MTB so only looking at R8K for a road bike. Willing to budge if it will make a bige difference. I'll most probably find the sweet spot with a second hand bike but with new models coming in I'm also going to look at end of range specials if possible.

Mainly want to find out if there's something like the difference between Alivio's and SLX in road bikes to look out for where the extra spend is well worth the money.

Right size.

Beyond that, do not expect any consideration from roadies. We don't do this EQ thing.

Try for at least a 105 equipped bike or SRAM rival which is lighter. Biggest problem on budget bikes is the heavy wheels they come with but you can upgrade that later and use the old ones for training.

Merida is coming out with a host of new bikes as is Silverback both make good alu bikes in your price range.

For double your budget, around 15 k, you can start looking at carbon 105 bikes or top end alu bikes like the CAAD 10.

Road bikes tend to take less hammering than MTB so 2nd hand will buy you a great bike for 8 k but you won't get a warranty.

Let us know what you get!

Agreed. At that budget, find a second hand deal.

Alu frame with 105 groupset should be easy to find. Stretch to about R10k, and you'll likely get a carbon frame.

Yeh, rather look second hand. I sold my schwinn peloton (full carbon) with 105 for 8k5 a while back. Was a damn good bike, but I just didn't ride her often enough to warrant keeping her.

Don't settle for less than 105, and get something that "feels" good. Ride before you buy.

Insofar as the differences between the gruppos... As you progress up the ladder, the weight decreases all the time. "Sharpness" increases as well (the feeling of crisp chamges, smooth running etc) and longevity increases until you come to the top end which generally sacrifices longevity or strength in favour of decreased weight.

As a minimum, look for 105. Don't look at Sora for your budget. It will disappoint you in the long run.

Good luck bud.