Braking Noise

Lewyza

Hi all,

I took my 29er Silverback MTB out for the 3rd time only after it was standing for awhile an when ever I brake hard, it would make a noise.

What do I need to do to remove the noise when braking? The bike is still new, was standing for about a month before its next ride and all of a sudden starting making the braking noise.

I have to same problem with my Ghost, it has Magura MT2 brakes, I tried anything short of replacing the pads and rotor but it still persists.

If its not too wet and your brake bleed is not a problem and everything is clean do a ride on organic pads. The sintered pads are very unforgiving and react badly to dust.

Edited by Dirtbreath

I have to same problem with my Ghost, it has Magura MT2 brakes, I tried anything short of replacing the pads and rotor but it still persists.

Same problem with my ghost and elixir 3 brakes. SRAM replaced pads with organic ones and updated my rotors to HS1 type. Did a 30km ride yesterday, slightly better, no so much squeal now. It appears that certain bikes and certain brakes are not a good match. But try scuffing up the brake pads and rotors with some sandpaper (lightly!) and bed them in again. I have read that guys have done everything from placing fishing weights on the caliper to trying expanding foam in the frame!

Ive got the same problem with my Mahura Mt4's. I'm used to it now.

The best solution, or temp in my case, was to sand it down, clean it with 95% surgical spirits (ethanol) and then to bed them again.

Check around here for the best way to do that though.

What worked for me was to put sunlight on my rotors, ride and brake hard a couple of times. Rinse and its fine.

Out of interest, the guys with the braking noise issues:

Is it on your front brake with post mount?

In my case, both brakes. At maximum braking it's not too bad, but at "slow down braking" it sounds like a train.

Thanx for the info this far.

It's the front and back brakes and only when I Break hard does it make the noise.

Maybe I should get it out more in the sun, don't no but it was only my 3rd ride.

Maybe cause after a ride I would wash and hose the bike down then put it in its store room

Best method is to get motorex disc cleaner

Remove pads and spray rotors and callipers this will remove all dust and oils

If noise still continues remove pads and dose them with mentolated sprit then use a lighter and light

Them up. This burns off all the oil . If brakes are still noisy replace pads with new ones