Servicing a 2006 Manitou fork for the first time

lloydkayak

So...

Part of my learning to be a bike guru has service own forks on the list.

I want to start with my gf's old 2006 Manitou Trace Air fork on her hard tail silverback dakota.

It is super slow on the rebound and I doubt has ever been looked at. I picked up the manitou service manual and have all the necessary torques, oil levels etc and a break down of supposedly how this is done.

Where on earth would I get seals for this fork? Or is it a case of opening up and seeing what I find.

I know JB's course is probably a must here but I want to give it a bash. I have most of the required tools except a torque wrench which I can get hold of

Any advice etc??

Thanks in advance

Edited by lloydkayak

Try e-bay for the seals and CRC for suspension oil.

<Hijack on> Why don't bike shops service forks? <Hijack off>

Try e-bay for the seals and CRC for suspension oil.

<Hijack on> Why don't bike shops service forks? <Hijack off>

It is really no rocket science to open and service a fork!! But i suspect the agents and warranty issues are involved...therefore all forks go to agents for service....

@OP....ask JB if he could (1) sell you some spares...if he has stock (2) provide alternative seals...

That man is a walking encyclopaedia!!

So...

Part of my learning to be a bike guru has service own forks on the list.

I want to start with my gf's old 2006 Manitou Trace Air fork on her hard tail silverback dakota.

It is super slow on the rebound and I doubt has ever been looked at. I picked up the manitou service manual and have all the necessary torques, oil levels etc and a break down of supposedly how this is done.

Where on earth would I get seals for this fork? Or is it a case of opening up and seeing what I find.

I know JB's course is probably a must here but I want to give it a bash. I have most of the required tools except a torque wrench which I can get hold of

Any advice etc??

Thanks in advance

pm swift01, I loves his manitous and services it himself.

Long, long ago I had a trusty Manitou that I rode for years and years and never serviced. It kept going as if by magic. Then one day I thought I'd do the right thing......you guessed it......I had it serviced. It came back all shiny and slick and impressive looking. Aaaaand it promptly broke down so badly it had to be put down and buried it in the back garden, in the dead of night, not to upset the other forks in the household.

(Naaaah, it's just a slow morning at work, you go right ahead and service it, don't listen to fairy tales.)

Long, long ago I had a trusty Manitou that I rode for years and years and never serviced. It kept going as if by magic. Then one day I thought I'd do the right thing......you guessed it......I had it serviced. It came back all shiny and slick and impressive looking. Aaaaand it promptly broke down so badly it had to be put down and buried it in the back garden, in the dead of night, not to upset the other forks in the household.

(Naaaah, it's just a slow morning at work, you go right ahead and service it, don't listen to fairy tales.)

I remember that.. blush.png

Seals you can get from a bearing supplier but the dust wipers are the problem. You need to make sure that the recess at the top of the lower leg assembly is deep enough to take the oil seal and the dust wiper that you need to use. Enduro can probably supply both but you will need to measure everything carefully first. Oil you can get from a motorbike shop.

Thanks a lot for all the info...

Armed with some knowledge, youtube and will get the necessary spares to attempt this, it seriously cant be that tough

Thank you