Caliper and rotor compatibility

RudoJ

I currently have Avid Juicy 3's and is considering going either for Shimano SLX or XT. Can I use these with my Avid rotors or would I need to change those as well?

What size rotors do you have?

If they are standard 160mm or 180mm you'll have no problem.

Shimano brakes FTW!!

thumbup1.gif

yep 160mm.

good to know....but knowing myself very well, I would probably go for a full change....

And just a another Q: changing to a 180mm would probably improve stopping power....my logic tells me it should be in front? But then again do you need some kind of adapters etc.

I know that I could probably google it

Ive done a bit of reading on the SLX/XT/XTR and from what Ive learnt is that is seems like XT is almost better than XTR in terms of stopping power and SLX is just a short bit behind?

What size rotors do you have?

If they are standard 160mm or 180mm you'll have no problem.

Shimano brakes FTW!!

thumbup1.gif

That's what people say who haven't tried Hope Tech M4 Evo's wink.png

yep 160mm.

good to know....but knowing myself very well, I would probably go for a full change....

And just a another Q: changing to a 180mm would probably improve stopping power....my logic tells me it should be in front? But then again do you need some kind of adapters etc.

I know that I could probably google it

Ive done a bit of reading on the SLX/XT/XTR and from what Ive learnt is that is seems like XT is almost better than XTR in terms of stopping power and SLX is just a short bit behind?

Here you go... here's a stopping power comparison (As per Bike Radar's test)

post-10758-0-43489600-1351245167_thumb.jpg

As for your rotor compatibility.The only issue you may have is to do with th hubs. Centrelock vs 6-bolt.

Edited by patches

As for your rotor compatibility.The only issue you may have is to do with th hubs. Centrelock vs 6-bolt.

Thanks!! see the Juicy's havent even made the list..... SLX it will be....should be substantial upgrade. One day when I'm big and jumping around the Spruit some Hope Tech's will do whistling.gif

Edited by RudoJ

Thanks!! see the Juicy's havent even made the list..... SLX it will be....should be substantial upgrade. One day when I'm big and jumping around the Spruit some Hope Tech's will do whistling.gif

that list is recent, so they won't list Jucies as they were replaced by Elixirs. They also don't list all models there. But yeah, a pretty good guide.

Oneday when I'm big (and rich), I'll get some Formula R0's. Definitely the most popular brake amongst the locals in the Alps

Doesn't there come a point where stopping power isn't as important as things like heat dispersion? I mean, I can always pull harder on the brakes and the wheels tend to break traction before the stopping power goes.

Incidently I am switching from Avid to Shimano after burning out both brakes on a long downhill.

Doesn't there come a point where stopping power isn't as important as things like heat dispersion? I mean, I can always pull harder on the brakes and the wheels tend to break traction before the stopping power goes.

Incidently I am switching from Avid to Shimano after burning out both brakes on a long downhill.

Good to see I'm not the only one switching over...

that list is recent, so they won't list Jucies as they were replaced by Elixirs. They also don't list all models there. But yeah, a pretty good guide.

Oneday when I'm big (and rich), I'll get some Formula R0's. Definitely the most popular brake amongst the locals in the Alps

Cool, thanks.

Just one question that I asked earlier, and it seems like you will know the answer, when switching to 180mm rotors from 160mm is some kind of adapters needed or can you move the position of the caliper? (should be the latter I think, havent looked at the different setup options for calipers on my bike yet) and would you add a 180 to front or back?

Cool, thanks.

Just one question that I asked earlier, and it seems like you will know the answer, when switching to 180mm rotors from 160mm is some kind of adapters needed or can you move the position of the caliper? (should be the latter I think, havent looked at the different setup options for calipers on my bike yet) and would you add a 180 to front or back?

If you're only adding 1x180 rotor, then add it to the front. Any time you have 2 different sized rotors/calipers put the larger/more powerful at the front. Same principles as cars and superbikes.

As for the adapter. I would recommend getting the proper one for a 180 rotor. You may need a few spacer washers too. Different brake calipers sit in slightly different positions

I can vouch for the Hope Race Evo X2 being better than the XTR Race. Not by much but still. Love my hopes.

I can vouch for the Hope Race Evo X2 being better than the XTR Race. Not by much but still. Love my hopes.

So can we. We'll still put Formula on the top of our list though. Event their DH model is lighter than XTR and the stopping power is insane. Their XC race models, although pricey, is in a league of their own.

I know Formula are very good breaks. But which would be the best value of those brakes tested?

Guest Omega Man

Um. WRONG! Hope V2. And for good reason too. Mmmmm. Hoooooope.

Edited by Omega Man

I know Formula are very good breaks. But which would be the best value of those brakes tested?

RX. More than enough stopping power for most, good weight and easy on the pocket.