Chain guide vs Chain tensioner

Pappa Bear

A chain tensioner is usually used on a fixie or single speed. I think you probably want a chain guide.

Edit: yes, ss bikes do have tensioners, but ones that usually hang off the dropouts in place of the derailleur.

For AM:

Chain guide rides on top of the chainring, "guiding" the chain into place. The chain tensioner sits below the chainring, and is usaully attached to the chain guide (if the guide is iscg standard, or mounts to the bb) or hangs off the chain stays, tensioning the chain between the chainring and derailleur.

Both have a very important role to play in the am world. If you're running a dual ring setup, a chain tensioner is vital due to the variation in chain length (slack) that you will have on your bike. If you don't use a tensioner, the chain will rattle so much when you're going down that it will come clean off the chainring (happened to me, so i know it does!) Your derailleur will act as the chain guide, in this instance. A good option for this is the Blackspire stinger (mounts to bb/ iscg mounts) or the C-guide (mounts to chainstay)

If you're running a single chainring, you can reduce the length of the chain to such a pointh that you don't absolutely need a tensioner to keep the tension in the chain. In this case though, a guide is pivotal, as you have no fd to guide the chain onto the chainring.

All the above can be ignored if you get xx1!

Edited by cptmayhem