DH/Freeride brake selection

BikeBailing

I'd like to add that nige is a small guy, I've had codes,elixirs formula the ones I've also ridden saint on my bros bikes,besides the elixirs they have all been good. The main thing for me is running 203mm rotors,makes a huge difference,obviously keeping a watch on pad wear and starting off the season with a brake bleed is important. I'm currently riding with some BlackBox Codes with 220mm rotors and they are absolute beasts,one thing that is crap is that they have carbon levers and if your gloves don't have good traction on the finger tips they get slippery even in the dry

Yo, get some non-slip adhesive tape like what they use on the yaghts, I believe it comes in clear too. Cut small sections and paste this on the face of the carbon lever, you should have good feel following this.

Better yet, take a regular office punch to a strip of this tape and use the then neatly punched small circles and then paste these where required ... would be neat and effective.

Saints I have heard are very "on-off" like the Avid Codes. But Danny Mac has mastered the art of feathering them, so maybe just rider preference?!

Based on what the European guys ride (and according to these figures), Formula R0's are the brakes to get. But they also leave your wallet limping. Although they are on sale at CRC

Ok so going through the figures, it works out very cost efective to use a pair of SLX M666's, in terms of stopping power, as they are considerable cheaper than most things near them on the list. Or am I getting it wrong. The reason I ask is I already have a pair biggrin.png

I have experience with the following...

Avid Code (new design). Powerful! Didn't fade on the Steepness that is Morzine. But they are "on-off" brakes. Not much feel to them. Squeeze that front one a little too hard and you're dirt napping.

Avid Juicy 7's with Goodridge hose upgrades. Great feel. Plenty of power. But for the cost of the brake plus hose upgrade, there are better options. Front can also be a little too sharp, if you're not prepared.

Hope Tech M4 Evo's. Powerful. Amazing feel! Seriously have not felt brakes that consistent before. Not as sharp as the Codes, but will still stop you in time. The down side... the price.

But yeah, for the riding here is SA, upper model Elixir's (like Super_mil uses) will be more than adequate.

what is this goodrich hose upgrade? I have some juicy 7's on the AM bike and was wondering if it was possible to make them better.

what is this goodrich hose upgrade? I have some juicy 7's on the AM bike and was wondering if it was possible to make them better.

simple. Goodridge hoses hold more fluid (ie brakes stay cooler) and they casing isn't as prone to flex (better brake feel, and more power).

plus they come in different colours and look killer! So just do it!

Yo, get some non-slip adhesive tape like what they use on the yaghts, I believe it comes in clear too. Cut small sections and paste this on the face of the carbon lever, you should have good feel following this.

Better yet, take a regular office punch to a strip of this tape and use the then neatly punched small circles and then paste these where required ... would be neat and effective.

where do you buy that ? Keen to give it a try

• 4 weeks later...

where do you buy that ? Keen to give it a try

I recon a sailing supplies shop or good old builders warehouse.

If you are CT based there is a sailing store on Bree Str.

Guest Omega Man

I run Hope Mono-Mini's on my EG but then again I am a maargat!

I'm thinking about M4's or X2's for my AM bike. tough choice cos i looooove M4's but they not exactly light.