IS THERE A DOWNHILL RACE AT GIBA THIS WEEKEND?

AUB

If there is what time does things kick off. I've been trying to find info about it but seem to have failed hence the posting on here. Would like to come check it out

Cheers

I'm still punishing my Giant.... trying to make a plan to get a DH bike for next years season. Got a few things up my sleeve. Selling all sorts of stuff that is useless to me to put some DH funding together. And wheeling and dealing... It is that time of the year where folks are selling and buying so I'm looking at everything. Not much locally though unless I'm looking in the wrong places? A little while ago there was plenty around kzn for sale now not much in my price range anyway.

And where have you been on Wednesday night rides?

Hope you find something soon. I'm so keen for some DH riding. We must organise something. I have missed one or two wed nights due to work and this crap weather. Been slack. Next Wednesday I'll be there though. Check you on the trails then.

Hey guys

there will be a span of okes riding Dh in PMB this weekend - all are welcome.

We will be at Cascades and probably Ricos. Will put up a topic here when i know details

I see on the KZN mtb calendar for 2013 there is a "Giba Gravity Enduro" on 13 July?

How does this event work? What are the requirements? Is it strictly for downhillers?

I'm still punishing my Giant.... trying to make a plan to get a DH bike for next years season. Got a few things up my sleeve. Selling all sorts of stuff that is useless to me to put some DH funding together. And wheeling and dealing... It is that time of the year where folks are selling and buying so I'm looking at everything. Not much locally though unless I'm looking in the wrong places? A little while ago there was plenty around kzn for sale now not much in my price range anyway.

And where have you been on Wednesday night rides?

I happen to know of someone selling a DH bike at a steel! PM me if you want details. :)

I see on the KZN mtb calendar for 2013 there is a "Giba Gravity Enduro" on 13 July?

How does this event work? What are the requirements? Is it strictly for downhillers?

Hey Dude

NO definately NOT strictly for DH riders ... to be fair ... the 3 enduro's we held in KZN last year were all won by XC guys (with DH guys in 2nd and 3rd).

The format is very similar to Car Rally Racing. 2 to 4 stages separated by liason sections. The Stages are run from the top of a hill down and you are only timed on your run down the hill. The event is not run on a DH track and needs an all-mountain bike to do well on.

Seeing as you did Berg and Bush this year i will give you and example of an Enduro that I'm planning there.

Event starts, - liaison section (no timing) - climb Spionkop from the bottom. Get to the top where the water point was.

Start of stage 1 - when you are ready you scan you timing chip (attached to your wrist) on the scanner attached to a pole and your Stage 1 time starts - Stage 1 runs from top of Spionkop down Long Drop Pass to the Tunnel under the tar road. ... At the end of stage 1 you have to stop and scan out with your chip on the Finish Scanner.

Liaison section - back up the hill up a gravel road to the top of Everest, - Stage 2 down Everest

then stage 3 and 4 (havent thought of these yet) ... and then at the end your Cumulative stage time is calculated and the person with the lowest cumulative time wins.

It is probably the BEST form of racing for the average MTB rider. As I am sure that 70% of the guys who ride only go up hill to come back down again.

So in this format your time only counts on the Downs ... so you can chill on the ups and not worry.

See these links to get a better idea.

Below are 2 links to websites which describes the style of racing.

http://www.superenduromtb.com/en/regolamento/

http://www.gravityenduro.ie/index.php/rules

Seeing as you did Berg and Bush this year i will give you and example of an Enduro that I'm planning there.

Event starts, - liaison section (no timing) - climb Spionkop from the bottom. Get to the top where the water point was.

Start of stage 1 - when you are ready you scan you timing chip (attached to your wrist) on the scanner attached to a pole and your Stage 1 time starts - Stage 1 runs from top of Spionkop down Long Drop Pass to the Tunnel under the tar road. ... At the end of stage 1 you have to stop and scan out with your chip on the Finish Scanner.

Liaison section - back up the hill up a gravel road to the top of Everest, - Stage 2 down Everest

then stage 3 and 4 (havent thought of these yet) ... and then at the end your Cumulative stage time is calculated and the person with the lowest cumulative time wins.

Hey Dude

NO definately NOT strictly for DH riders ... to be fair ... the 3 enduro's we held in KZN last year were all won by XC guys (with DH guys in 2nd and 3rd).

The format is very similar to Car Rally Racing. 2 to 4 stages separated by liason sections. The Stages are run from the top of a hill down and you are only timed on your run down the hill. The event is not run on a DH track and needs an all-mountain bike to do well on.

Awesome! Thanks for explaining that Nigel. Reason I was asking is that some of the XC events are getting boring, and I wanted to try something new. I think Enduro can go a long way in SA, especially if you want to make the transition to more AM riding and currently have a XC bike. This would justify getting a 140mm or bigger travel bike - If there is events you can use them on!

Would my 120mm Trek FuelEX be sufficient for an event like this or must I start the negotiating process with my wife to get that Yeti ph34r.png

Edited by BearManGuy

Awesome! Thanks for explaining that Nigel. Reason I was asking is that some of the XC events are getting boring, and I wanted to try something new. I think Enduro can go a long way in SA, especially if you want to make the transition to more AM riding and currently have a XC bike. This would justify getting a 140mm or bigger travel bike - If there is events you can use them on!

Would my 120mm Trek FuelEX be sufficient for an event like this?

Yeah dude your Fuel will be fine ... do you ride at Giba?? If so you will know the trails we use there for the Enduro (i set up the route for the event there last year)

Stage 1 - from the wooden hut in the Gorge - down the road - under the freeway - off onto the singletrack next to the gravel near the start of Mainline - across the road near the switchbacks on Jethros and into the Upper waterfall trail (forgotten its name) - then right and down the hill to the lower waterfall trail where the wooden bridge goes across the river.

Stage 2 - Gravity - including the upper bizhub trail - then down over the tabletops and down old gravity back to the bridge on the waterfall trail.

Stage 3 - Shaya Moya from the start of the singetrack at the top of the hill down to the bottom, allong that lower trail to the bridge on the waterfall trail.

----

May add in another stage for next year - but have to think what will work.

---

So you see that the trails we use here are all rideable on any bike - its just the harder you go the more travel you may need. I ride a 160mm GT Force Carbon and its PERFECT for this type of riding - but we often have okes racing on hardtails even.

But to make your bike more nimble on a budget, get a short (60mm) stem and wide (730mm) riser bars. This will make a big difference. Oh and maybe a dropper post.