Dopers

Garfield2010

Lots of triathletes have been caught and banned. I think most, if not all, of the pros are doping.

I just assume everyone is doping: it's easier than having to deal with the disappointment when they eventually get caught.

I wonder if the world of Triathlon is just as vrot as cycling............?

Was thinking just the same thing.

Lance did a few 70.3 events just before the bomb dropped on him.

It's hard to believe that triathlon is a clean sport, especially the longer distance events where an age grouper gets the opportunity to go to Kona.

After Bela at least it was clear Dave is not Doping.whistling.gif w00t.gif

BOOM. Floored yet again...Will I ever live this down?

As an aside, how many average Joe or Josephines would test positive for banned substances because of medication? Do any middle to back of the pack triathletes double check when a doctor prescribes medication?

As an aside, how many average Joe or Josephines would test positive for banned substances because of medication? Do any middle to back of the pack triathletes double check when a doctor prescribes medication?

A few months ago I had a bronchi infection, and my doctor gave me an inhaler amongst other things. I asked him about my training in the light of recovery, and his last sentence was "...keep using the inhaler, it might even help you a bit". I laughed it off and said something to the effect that I didn't want to be seen winning a medal after only 6 months of doing triathlon.

It's only now in the light of the doping conversations that I wonder about his remark. I've used that inhaler for a month when I started training again, but there's been absolutely no difference between before/during/after that I can see.

My layman's take is that it is systematic and high intensity doping that will give a very fit athlete some unfair advantage. The rest of us mortals I seriously doubt will see any (unfair) advantage when using medication only...

As for how much doping is around... unfortunately I also think that there is a lot amongst the elite/top end age groupers. The mechanics which started the doping in cycling is present in triathlon too, while amateurs alike seem to be much more plaqued with how many other people they beat rather than how often they beat themselves...

After Bela at least it was clear Dave is not Doping.whistling.gif w00t.gif

You looked "full of energy" on the run at Midlands too Garf.. whistling.gif

I think when doing the registration for a race one should be able to disclose on what meds you were during the last couple of weeks and for what reasons with your doctor's note as proof. If the meds contain a banned substance then you will automatically not be entitled to win any prize money or your age group, but you may enjoy the race, get a medal and a T-shirt. If no disclosure has been made and you get tested positive then you will be seen as a cheat and be banned from the sport. Finish and klaar.

Triathlon is just not tested as much as cycling..... There is doping in EVERY professional sport, all the $$$ makes it just too tempting.... As Mark Cavendish said in an interview once, he believes because of all the dope testing, cycling is actually one of the cleanest sports....

I think when doing the registration for a race one should be able to disclose on what meds you were during the last couple of weeks and for what reasons with your doctor's note as proof. If the meds contain a banned substance then you will automatically not be entitled to win any prize money or your age group, but you may enjoy the race, get a medal and a T-shirt. If no disclosure has been made and you get tested positive then you will be seen as a cheat and be banned from the sport. Finish and klaar.

I believe this is the effective route that is taken in IMSA and IMSA70.3. You do have the ability to declare medications on your registration form.

I remember reading that if you do test positive, they can grant you a retrospective TUE if you can prove the validity of the treatment and the lack of intention to cheat. I think this only applies to age groupers, not Pros.

Given that I have never heard of a test other than for podium finishers, it is largely irrelevant.

If you take something to fix a cold, and are not a podium finisher I don't think you should worry. I doubt the organisers care.

If you deliberately take something to improve your performance to move up a few places, well we have to put up with you for a day, you have to live with yourself forever.

Edited by davem

I believe this is the effective route that is taken in IMSA and IMSA70.3. You do have the ability to declare medications on your registration form.

I remember reading that if you do test positive, they can grant you a retrospective TUE if you can prove the validity of the treatment and the lack of intention to cheat. I think this only applies to age groupers, not Pros.

Given that I have never heard of a test other than for podium finishers, it is largely irrelevant.

If you take something to fix a cold, and are not a podium finisher I don't think you should worry. I doubt the organisers care.

If you deliberately take something to improve your performance to move up a few places, well we have to put up with you for a day, you have to live with yourself forever.

Well I dont care to be honest. How much can "soft drugs" really help? If you train hard you will beat the lazy oke who drinks myprodols the whole way.

In any cased EPO only increases performance by 3% (according to Tyler), so how much does asthma pumps and the lot really help? I just wish I could have a stat of how many PRO's actually dope serious stuff liek EPO and blooddoping. I know we will never have this stat but I would think it will be more than most people expect. Remember Tri isnt regulated like cycling is..... Wonder what would happen for example if the TDF drugadmin pitches up in Kona 2 weeks before race day and do the most expensive and thorough tests on the top 50 pros that was ever done..................

According to the 2010-2011 South African Institute for Drug-free Sport annual report, triathletes were tested 141 times during that period and there was one positive. Compare that to cycling where, for the same period, there were 248 tests and one positive.

9 applications for TUEs for triathletes were received and only 5 were approved. In cycling 46 applications were received and 33 were approved.